Connect with us

Articles of 2004

Shane Mosley: I'm Brand New

Published

on

Shane Mosley’s famous grin was as evident as the letters on his waistband – the ones that spelled “Sugar” – when he entered the ring to face Winky Wright last March 13 in a junior middleweight unification showdown..

Soon enough, though, the letters fell off. And so did the smile, as Wright dominated Mosley, adding the Pomona fighter’s WBC 154-pound title to his IBF belt. In the end, Mosley – outthought, outboxed and outfoxed – was the picture of frustration.

Mosley, 33, will try it again Saturday, in a rematch that most boxing insiders consider ill-advised in light of the 32-year-old Wright’s domination eight months ago and the lack of a Mosley tuneup in the interim. Besides that, Mosley’s track record in gaining quick revenge isn’t good. After Vernon Forrest handed him his first loss in January 2002, Mosley opted for an immediate rematch six months later – and lost another decision. It killed Mosley's career momentum just months after being called the best fighter, pound-for-pound, on the planet.

This time, the three-division champion promises it will be different.

“It wasn’t anything Winky was doing; my body was feeling bad after the second round,” Mosley said last week from his training camp in Van Nuys, Calif., which started on Sept. 7. “I didn’t have it, and I knew it, and I was going through the motions. There is nothing you can do when you don’t have any energy. There’s not a defense or offense or a punch you can throw. You just have to chalk it up as a bad night.

“It was something I wasn’t eating or a culmination of things, mental stuff.”

“I’m happy it was Winky Wright instead of anybody else or else I would’ve been knocked out.”

Those who are giving Mosley, 38-3 (35 knockouts), the benefit of the doubt are pointing to the tough decision he made earlier this year in dismissing his father, Jack Mosley, as trainer in favor of California staple Joe Goossen. Not only did it show Mosley’s acknowledgment that a change was necessary – it showed good judgment: Goossen is on a roll after helping lightweight Diego Corrales reach his potential in victories over Joel Casamayor and Acelino Freitas earlier this year.

“I think Joe has helped bring in the Sugar Shane that everybody is used to seeing,” Mosley said. “He slowed it down a little bit and went back to the basics and improved those things. Things right now, they’re great. I feel great.

“I can’t remember the last time I felt this confident about a fight. I’d have to go back to when I was in the lightweight days, even before I was champion.”

Meanwhile, Mosley says his relationship with his father is as good as ever. He was on his way to Jack Mosley’s 60th birthday party Saturday.

 “Everything is great,” he said.

But Mosley will have an uphill battle against Wright, 47-3 (25 knockouts), of St. Petersburg, Fla. Last time out, Mosley hardly landed a significant punch as he seemed baffled by Wright’s southpaw style. When Wright’s gloves weren’t snapping Mosley’s head back, they were easily deflecting inaccurate punches.

Mosley, a natural 135-pounder, seemed physically outmatched against Wright – though both stand 5-foot-9. Wright, however, has been a 154-pounder most of his career.

Mosley denies that size had anything to do with the loss.

“No way is he too big for me,” Mosley said. “Winky’s not that hard a hitter, or that strong.”

As for opting for an immediate rematch, Mosley doesn’t think it’s a mistake. He doesn’t consider his decision to fight Forrest back-to-back in 2002 a mistake, either.

“I thought I beat him the second fight, and I gained respect from him,” Mosley said.

Most experts considered the second Forrest-Mosley fight close, but neither fighter improved their stock in a fight that featured more clinching than punching.

It is also that fight in which some insiders began to wonder aloud whether Mosley had lost a step.

Since then, he has had a no-contest against shopworn Raul Marquez, defeated Oscar De La Hoya in a rematch most ringsiders thought he lost, and lost to Wright.

Is it possible that Mosley simply is not the same fighter that upset De La Hoya in spectacular fashion in 2000?

“That’s all opinion,” he said. “If I went by what people thought, I could never be the best I could be. And then I would start believing what they’re thinking. I’ll know when it’s time to hang ‘em up. I’m in the best shape of my life. Everything is working well. I got away from things. Now I’m putting them back together and I’m brand new.”

Articles of 2004

2004 Boxing Pound for Pound List

Published

on

The final boxing pound-for-pound list of the year for 2004.

1. Bernard Hopkins: The top guy from beginning to end, Hopkins took care of Oscar De La Hoya with a body shot in the biggest fight of 2004. Now, he'll wait for Jermain Taylor to progress a little further, or he'll go the rematch route with Felix Trinidad. Either way, Hopkins stands to earn a lot of money in 2005 and extend that all-time middleweight reign.

2. Floyd Mayweather: How long has it been since we've seen Mayweather in a meaningful fight? Certainly not in 2004, when he outpointed the difficult DeMarcus Corley. He's slated for a January outing against a no-name. Enough stalling, already, “Pretty Boy”. Fight someone we care about (preferably Kostya Tszyu), or you'll lose your #2 position sometime in 2005.

3. Felix Trinidad: “Tito” stormed back with a magnificent knockout of Ricardo Mayorga in 2004, and now hopes to capitalize on it with big money fights. He'd like nothing more than a rematch with his only conqueror, Hopkins, but he may also opt for old nemesis Oscar De La Hoya. Either way, Trinidad is sure to fight a big fight sometime in the coming year.

4. Kostya Tszyu: What a difference one fight makes. As recently as late October, the boxing world was wondering whether Tszyu was even serious about the sport anymore. We found out with a second round demolition of Sharmba Mitchell. And that made the junior welterweight division very attractive. Tszyu has several options now, including Arturo Gatti and Mayweather or even a hop up to welterweight to challenge Cory Spinks. Let's hope one of them happens in 2005.

5. Manny Pacquiao: Pacquiao fought twice in 2004, and what a fight the first one was. His thrilling war with Juan Manuel Marquez was the best brawl of the year, and there is a chance that the two rivals will go at it again in 2005. If not, Pacquiao has a list full of options: Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, etc. Pacquiao will fight one of them in the next year.

6. Marco Antonio Barrera: Another guy thought to be washed up when the year started, Barrera resurrected his career for the second time with a masterful victory over Paulie Ayala and a close decision over rival Erik Morales in another great fight. Barrera is obviously shooting for a return with Pacquiao, who decimated him in November 2003. Barrera says it was an off-night. Hopefully, we'll find out if that was the case.

7. Winky Wright: Winky entered the “superstar” realm in 2004 with a pair of decision victories over Shane Mosley. The first was very impressive, as Wright practically shut Mosley out. The second was closer, but proved once again that Winky was the superior fighter. He'd like a shot at Trinidad or Oscar De La Hoya, but neither will happen. He'd probably be best off shooting for a name like Fernando Vargas or Ricardo Mayorga.

8. Juan Manuel Marquez: After several years on the outside looking in, Marquez is finally in a position to make some money after his courageous performance against Pacquiao. He rose from three first-round knockdowns to wage the fight of his life in a fight that was ruled a draw. It would also be interesting to see Marquez against countrymen Barrera and Erik Morales.

9. Erik Morales: “El Terrible” fought another great fight against Barrera, but, again, it was in a losing cause. He has now lost two of three to his fierce rival, and probably wants nothing to do with him anymore. But, eventually, talk of Barrera-Morales 4 will come up again. In the meantime, Morales could shoot for Pacquiao or Marquez.

10. Glencoffe Johnson: The newest entry, Johnson pumped some life into boxing in 2004 with a pair of upsets of Roy Jones Jr. and Antonio Tarver. Now, he's set to make some really big money in rematches with either, or a shot at old conqueror Hopkins. Either way, Johnson is better than anyone imagined.

11. Jose Luis Castillo: Castillo made some comeback noise of his own in 2004, beating Juan Lazcano for his old vacant title and decisioning Joel Casamayor for another big win. He says he wants Kostya Tszyu next, and if that materializes, boxing fans will be in for a treat. If not, Castillo vs. Diego Corrales is a great fight.

12. Oscar De La Hoya: Hard to erase that picture of De La Hoya grimacing in agony courtesy of a Hopkins shot to the ribs, but the “Golden Boy” had no business fighting at 160 pounds. He should drop down to junior middle or even welterweight again if he has any hope of regaining his past form. But 2005 could be the final year for one of boxing's all-time great attractions.

On the brink: Antonio Tarver, Diego Corrales, James Toney

Continue Reading

Articles of 2004

Heavyweight Joe Mesi Bringing Lawsuit

Published

on

By

As reported by the Buffalo News, Joe Mesi is suing the New York State Athletic Commission and the MRI center that conducted tests on the heavyweight boxer after his bout with Vassiliy Jirov. Mesi reportedly suffered brain injuries in the Jirov bout, which has left his boxing status uncertain.

The lawsuit alleges Mesi's medical records were improperly released to the NYSAC. The records, the lawsuit goes on to allege, were then released to the media, prejudicing Mesi's right to have his status reviewed by the appropriate boxing authorities.

The lawsuit does not seek specific monetary damages, as the extent of damages will be affected by whether Mesi is able to resume his career as a leading heavyweight contender.

Mesi hopes to have his status reviewed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission within the coming month. The ruling of the NSAC promises to be key in whether Mesi will be able to resume his boxing career.

Continue Reading

Articles of 2004

The Best in Chicago Boxing Returns

Published

on

By

Dominic Pesoli's 8 Count Productions and Bob Arum's Top Rank Incorporated along with Miller Lite presents SOLO BOXEO DE MILLER, THE ARAGON RUMBLE, another installment of The Best in Chicago Boxing on Friday, January 14th, broadcast live internationally as part of Telefutura's Friday night professional boxing series.

The newly remodeled Aragon Ballroom is located at 1106 W. Lawrence Ave. near the corner of Lawrence and Broadway in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood and is easily accessible, just 4 blocks west of Lake Shore Drive and just 4 miles east of the Kennedy expressway. There are three large parking lots located within a 1/2 block of the Aragon Ballroom. Additionally, the Howard Street Blue Line stops just across the street. Doors will open at 6pm with the first bell at 7pm.

Headlining the action packed card is the American debut of super-bantamweight Ricardo “PIOLO” Castillo, 12-2 (6KO's) of Mexicali, Mexico as he squares off in a scheduled ten rounder against WBO Latino Champion, Edel Ruiz, 24-12-3 (13KO's) of Los Mochis, SI, Mexico. Castillo will be accompanied to the ring by his brother, World Lightweight Champion Jose Luis Castillo.

In the co-main event of the evening, one of Chicago's most popular fighters, middleweight “MACHO” Miguel Hernandez, 14-1 (9KO's), battles hard swinging local veteran “MARVELOUS” Shay Mobley, 7-4-1 (2KO's), of One In a Million Inc.in a scheduled eight rounder.

The huge undercard bouts include;

Carlos Molina vs TBA, six rounds, junior middleweights
Frankie Tafoya vs TBA, four rounds, featherweights
Ottu Holified vs. Allen Medina, four rounds, middleweights
Francisco Rodriguez vs. LaShaun Blair, four rounds, bantamweights
Rita Figueroa vs. Sarina Hayden, four rounds, junior welterweights

Said Dominic Pesoli, President of 8 Count Productions, “it was a terrific evening last month and our fans were thrilled to be at the Aragon to watch David, Speedy and Luciano. David Diaz's fight against Jaime Rangel was a fight people will talk about for a long time. Our commitment to our fans is to make every event of ours better than the last one. This main event is terrific, both guys are very tough Mexicans who won't take a step back.

The fans love Miguel and Mobley figures to be a very tough opponent. Him and David Estrada had a six round war last June at our show. And the undercard showcases a lot of new, younger talent that is coming out of Chicago right now. Tafoya and Holifield have both had very successful beginnings to their careers and Francisco Rodriguez comes with fantastic amateur credentials and David Diaz says he has all the talent to be a great pro.”

“We've got big plans for 2005 and this show should take up right where last months show left off. The huge crowd loved the action last time and I'm sure they'll say the same thing this time.”

Continue Reading

Trending