Connect with us

Articles

Mia St. John Tells TMZ Christy Martin Is Ducking Her

Published

on

Martin_media_day_110525_002a1(Chris Farina)

Recently Mia St. John told TMZ that Christy “The Coal Miner’s Daughter” Martin has been avoiding a rematch after all these years because of the embarrassment suffered when they first fought several years ago.

“Mia, Mia, Mia, you’ve been hit too many times in the head,” said a smiling Martin at a press conference in West Hollywood on Wednesday, May 25.

St. John insists that she was given a poor decision by judges in Michigan when they collided in the ring.

“I whipped her a**,” said St. John emphatically. “Everybody knows that.”

Martin promises a different outcome if they meet again mostly because her plan of attack was misguided the first time they met in the ring at the Pontiac Silverdome in 2002.

“I’m a totally different fighter than I was then,” said Martin. “I won’t be going for the body this time. I’ll be going for the head.”

St. John scoffs at Martin’s reasoning.

“I’ll whip her again,” said St. John.

Meanwhile, Martin (49-5-3, 31 KOs) is preparing for her second clash with Dakota Stone (9-8-5) on Saturday, June 4, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

“She’s tough,” said Martin. “You can’t go by her record.”

Martin fought Stone in Sept. 2009 and was given the decision to capture the WBC junior middleweight world title.

“I beat her but it was close,” Martin said. “I beat her by majority decision.”

The veteran of 57 pro fights expects a very tough fight. She was supposed to meet Stone earlier in the year but was sidelined by an injury.

“In retrospect maybe it was a good thing,” says Martin. “Maybe I wasn’t ready mentally.”

The West Virginia native was still recuperating from being allegedly shot and stabbed by her former husband Jim Martin last year. It was a harrowing experience that saw her escape with her life despite suffering severe wounds.

“Some things just work out for a reason,” she said.

Other Fight Chatter

Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (31-2, 27 KOs) returns to the ring after only two weeks and fights Kendrick Releford (22-14-2, 10 KOs) this Friday, May 27. It will be televised on ESPN2. Arreola fights Releford at the Reno Events Center. He replaces fellow stable mate Josesito Lopez who suffered a hand injury and was forced to postpone his fight. Arreola fought recently at the Home Depot where he stopped Nagy Aguilera in two rounds.

The Friday, May 27 event at the Pico Rivera Sports Arena has been canceled.

UFC 130 features Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (31-8) in the main event against Matt Hamill (10-2) in a light heavyweight non-title match on Saturday, May 28 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The MGM Grand will be the host for the Ultimate Fighting Championship mixed martial arts card. Others fighting are Brian Stann facing Jorge Santiago; Frank Mir clashes with Roy Nelson; and Miguel Torres meets Demetrious Johnson.

Middleweight contender Michael Trabant (46-4-1, 21 KOs) of Germany stopped Riccardo Grasmann (11-15-1) in the third round on Thursday in Berlin, Germany. It was Trabant’s third consecutive victory.

The Rumble in Venice annual amateur boxing show takes place on Sunday, May 29 at Venice Beach, Calif. The show begins at 1 p.m. on the basketball courts and features more than two dozen amateur bouts including the boxing teams from UCLA and USC. Joe Wheatley Promotions and Ramon Estrada’s Boxing Club bring the free show to the beach. The sponsor is Imaging3.

San Diego’s Chris Martin (22-0-2) beat Paramount’s Charles Huerta (16-3, 9 KOs) by decision last Friday in Costa Mesa in a junior featherweight bout. Ronny Rios, Donyil Livingston, Manuel Avila, Joel Diaz and Bobby Chavez all won their fights.

WBC flyweight titleholder Mariana Juarez (29-5-3, 14 KOs) won by technical knockout over Uruguay’s Gabriela Bouvier (6-1-1) in the seventh round. The title fight was held in Morelia, Mexico and was Juarez’ first world title defense at this weight. She is a former junior bantamweight titleholder.

Alfonso Gomez knocked out middleweight Calvin Green in the second round and Michael Franco beat Rafael Lora by unanimous decision on Saturday at Morongo. Also, Indio’s Gabino Saenz, El Monte’s Ricky Duenas and Jose Roman were all victorious at Morongo Casino.

Boxing cards are coming back to Morongo Casino, said a Morongo tribal member. It had been several years since pro boxing cards had been held, but Morongo Casino is anxious to stage cards again. “We’re just looking for the best deal from the boxing promoters,” said David Gandara, a Morongo tribal member.

Roy Jones Jr. (54-8, 40 KOs) was stopped at 2:50 of the 10th and final round by Russia’s Dennis Lebedev (22-1, 16 KOs) in Moscow, Russia last Saturday. It was Jones’ third consecutive loss. The former middleweight, junior middleweight, middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight world champion is now 42 years old.

WBO and WBF middleweight titleholder Christina Hammer (9-0, 7 KOs) fights WIBA champion Sweden’s Maria Lindberg (5-0-2) in a unification battle of the undefeated on Friday, May 27. The title fight takes place in Prague, Czech Republic.

Heavyweights Franklin Lawrence (14-2-2, 9 KOs) and Jason Gavern (20-7-4) collide on Friday, May 27 at Dover, Delaware. Lawrence knocked out Lance Whitaker and Gavern recently upset Manuel Quezada and drew with Johnathon Banks. Ronica Jeffrey (5-0) fights Jennifer Shiver (14-4-1) in a featherweight bout set for six rounds.
For ticket information call (800) 711-5882.

WBC junior bantamweight titleholder Tomas Rojas (36-12-1, 24 KOs) stopped challenger Juan Jose Montes (19-2, 12 KOs) at the end of round 11. The title match took place on Saturday in Chiapas, Mexico.

New WBO light heavyweight titleholder Nathan Cleverly (22-0, 11 KOs) defeated last-minute challenger Aleksy Kuziemski (21-3) at 1:27 of round four by technical knockout. The fight took place in London, England. Cleverly is from Wales.

Colombia’s Joel Julio (37-4, 31 KOs) beat Anges Adjaho (25-6, 14 KOs) by decision after 10 rounds last Friday. The welterweight clash took place in Newark. Also, Sadam Ali (13-0, 7 KOs) remained undefeated by decision over John Revish (10-4-2) in another welterweight fight.

Articles

2015 Fight of the Year – Francisco Vargas vs Takashi Miura

Published

on

The WBC World Super Featherweight title bout between Francisco Vargas and Takashi Miura came on one of the biggest boxing stages of 2015, as the bout served as the HBO pay-per-view’s co-main event on November 21st, in support of Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez.

Miura entered the fight with a (29-2-2) record and he was making the fifth defense of his world title, while Vargas entered the fight with an undefeated mark of (22-0-1) in what was his first world title fight. Both men had a reputation for all-out fighting, with Miura especially earning high praise for his title defense in Mexico where he defeated Sergio Thompson in a fiercely contested battle.

The fight started out hotly contested, and the intensity never let up. Vargas seemed to win the first two rounds, but by the fourth round, Miura seemed to pull ahead, scoring a knock-down and fighting with a lot of confidence. After brawling the first four rounds, Miura appeared to settle into a more technical approach. Rounds 5 and 6 saw the pendulum swing back towards Vargas, as he withstood Miura’s rush to open the fifth round and the sixth round saw both men exchanging hard punches.

The big swinging continued, and though Vargas likely edged Miura in rounds 5 and 6, Vargas’ face was cut in at least two spots and Miura started to assert himself again in rounds 7 and 8. Miura was beginning to grow in confidence while it appeared that Vargas was beginning to slow down, and Miura appeared to hurt Vargas at the end of the 8th round.

Vargas turned the tide again at the start of the ninth round, scoring a knock down with an uppercut and a straight right hand that took Miura’s legs and sent him to the canvas. Purely on instinct, Miura got back up and continued to fight, but Vargas was landing frequently and with force. Referee Tony Weeks stepped in to stop the fight at the halfway point of round 9 as Miura was sustaining a barrage of punches.

Miura still had a minute and a half to survive if he was going to get out of the round, and it was clear that he was not going to stop fighting.

A back and forth battle of wills between two world championship level fighters, Takashi Miura versus “El Bandido” Vargas wins the 2015 Fight of the Year.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

 

Continue Reading

Articles

Jan 9 in Germany – Feigenbutz and De Carolis To Settle Score

Published

on

This coming Saturday, January 9th, the stage is set at the Baden Arena in Offenburg, Germany for a re-match between Vincent Feigenbutz and Giovanni De Carolis. The highly anticipated re-match is set to air on SAT.1 in Germany, and Feigenbutz will once again be defending his GBU and interim WBA World titles at Super Middleweight.

The first meeting between the two was less than three months ago, on October 17th and that meeting saw Feigenbutz controversially edge De Carolis on the judge’s cards by scores of (115-113, 114-113 and 115-113). De Carolis scored a flash knock down in the opening round, and he appeared to outbox Feigenbutz in the early going, but the 20 year old German champion came on in the later rounds.

The first bout is described as one of the most crowd-pleasing bouts of the year in Germany, and De Carolis and many observers felt that the Italian had done enough to win.

De Carolis told German language website RAN.DE that he was more prepared for the re-match, and that due to the arrogance Feigenbutz displayed in the aftermath of the first fight, he was confident that he had won over some of the audience. Though De Carolis fell short of predicting victory, he promised a re-vamped strategy tailored to what he has learned about Feigenbutz, whom he termed immature and inexperienced.

The stage is set for Feigenbutz vs De Carolis 2, this Saturday January 9th in Offenburg, Germany. If you can get to the live event do it, if not you have SAT.1 in Germany airing the fights, and The Boxing Channel right back here for full results.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Articles

2015 Knock Out of the Year – Saul Alvarez KO’s James Kirkland

Published

on

On May 9th of 2015, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez delivered a resonant knock-out of James Kirkland on HBO that wins the 2015 KO of the Year.

The knock-out itself came in the third round, after slightly more than two minutes of action. The end came when Alvarez delivered a single, big right hand that caught Kirkland on the jaw and left him flat on his back after spinning to the canvas.Alvarez was clearly the big star heading into the fight. The fight was telecast by HBO for free just one week after the controversial and disappointing Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao fight, and Alvarez was under pressure to deliver the type of finish that people were going to talk about. Kirkland was happy to oblige Alvarez, taking it right to Alvarez from the start. Kirkland’s aggression saw him appear to land blows that troubled the young Mexican in the early going. Alvarez played good defense, and he floored Kirkland in the first round, displaying his power and his technique in knocking down an aggressive opponent.

However, Kirkland kept coming at Alvarez and the fight entered the third round with both men working hard and the feeling that the fight would not go the distance. Kirkland continued to move forward, keeping “Canelo” against the ropes and scoring points with a barrage of punches while looking for an opening.

At around the two minute mark, Alvarez landed an uppercut that sent Kirkland to the canvas again. Kirkland got up, but it was clear that he did not have his legs under him. Kirkland was going to try to survive the round, but Alvarez had an opportunity to close out the fight. The question was would he take it?

Alvarez closed in on Kirkland, putting his opponent’s back to the ropes. Kirkland was hurt, but he was still dangerous, pawing with punches and loading up for one big shot.

But it was the big shot “Canelo” threw that ended the night. Kirkland never saw it coming, as he was loading up with a huge right hand of his own. The right Alvarez threw cracked Kirkland in the jaw, and his eyes went blank. His big right hand whizzed harmlessly over the head of a ducking Alvarez, providing the momentum for the spin that left Kirkland prone on the canvas.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez went on to defeat Miguel Cotto in his second fight of 2015 and he is clearly one of boxing’s biggest stars heading into 2016. On May 9th Alvarez added another reel to his highlight film when he knocked out James Kirkland with the 2015 “Knock Out of the Year”.

Photo by naoki fukuda

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Trending