Connect with us





1557285977.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_I met Billy Costello in the summer of 1984 when I visited the Concord Hotel in the Catskill Mountains. I was researching a book about the sport and business of professional boxing with the intention of building the narrative around a fighter who was preparing for a championship fight. Over time, I interviewed close to a hundred people for the project. Gerry Cooney and Mike Jones (Cooney’s co-manager) were on the list. Mike invited me to visit Gerry in the Catskills, where he was training for an upcoming fight against Phil Brown.

Billy was Gerry’s stablemate. Earlier in the year, he’d knocked out Bruce Curry to win the WBC 140-pound title. Several weeks after we met, he defended his championship with a unanimous-decision victory over Ronnie Shields.

I liked Billy.  He was a class act. We hit it off. I decided to build my book around his next title defense; a November 3, 1984, fight against Saoul Mamby.

“Lots of fighters have articles written about them,” Billy told me after The Black Lights was published. “I’ve got a whole book.”

Billy lost his title to Lonnie Smith in 1985. The only other blemish on his ring ledger was a 1986 defeat at the hands of Alexis Arguello. Whatever happened, he told it like it was. In 1999, he made an ill-advised return to the ring at age 43 to fight 40-year-old Juan LaPorte on a “legends” card in North Carolina.

Billy won a split decision in a bout that many thought should have been scored the other way.  “To be honest with you,” he told the media afterward, “I think a draw would have been fairer.”

His final record was 40 wins against 2 losses, with a 4-and-1 mark in world championship fights. After he retired as an active fighter, he stayed in boxing as a ring judge. He knew what he was watching and scored fights the way they unfolded without favoring the house fighter.

In spring 2010, Billy learned that he was suffering from adenocarcinoma. That’s a particularly deadly form of lung cancer that afflicts non-smokers.

“For a long time, I thought it was just a pulled muscle in my chest or something like that,” Billy told me. “But it didn’t get better and then I started having trouble breathing, so I went to the doctor. Who the hell knows where this came from. I’m not a smoker. Hey; shit happens. This time, it happened to me.”

By the time Billy sought treatment, the cancer was inoperable and had metastasized to his bones. After initial consultations at a hospital near his home in Kingston, New York, he sought help at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in Manhattan (one of the leading cancer-treatment centers in the world). The doctors there told him that he should continue treatment at the hospital where he’d started.

Reading between the lines, that could have meant Memorial Sloan-Kettering didn’t want to tarnish its statistics with a hopeless case. Or maybe Billy’s insurance wasn’t up to par.

Fighters are used to enduring physical abuse. Cancer imposes physical suffering of another kind. The chemotheraphy added to Billy’s suffering. He began having excruciating headaches. In mid-August, he made an appointment with a doctor named Gil Lederman.

Lederman has a checkered past. His defenders say that he’s brilliant, creative, and willing to treat patients whom other doctors turn away because of the hopeless nature of their condition. His detractors take a different view.

In May 2010, a New York jury found Lederman liable for malpractice in the treatment of a cancer patient named Giuseppa Bono. According to the New York Times, Lederman was part of a group that recruited patients in Italy for specialized targeted-radiation treatment at Staten Island University Hospital in New York. The Times further reported, “About two hundred Italian cancer patients paid $17,500 for the treatment, lured by promotional materials that promoted ‘success’ and ‘cure’ rates above ninety percent. None of the patients were cured.”

Bono died after being treated by Lederman for pancreatic cancer. The lawyers for her estate argued that she had actually been suffering from pancreatitis and that Lederman had failed to perform medically-appropriate tests (such as a biopsy) to determine the nature of her illness before conducting radiation treatment.

Prior to that, Lederman had been sued by the estate of George Harrison, whose wife accused the doctor of forcing Harrison (who was dying of cancer) to autograph a guitar and of violating doctor-patient confidentiality.

As reported in New York Magazine, “When the rock star died, Lederman gave touching anecdotes to Good Morning America, CNN, NBC, Fox News, Us Weekly, Newsweek, the New York Post, Daily News, a variety of British tabloids, and the National Enquirer, which somehow got the erroneous impression that Harrison had been convalescing in Lederman’s own home. He even allowed the Enquirer into his home to take a photo of his son, Ariel, playing the guitar that George had signed for him. Olivia Harrison [Harrison’s widow] filed a complaint with the State Board of Professional Medical Conduct, which fined and censured Lederman. To prevent the autographed guitar from potentially ending up on eBay, she slapped him with a $10 million lawsuit. As part of the settlement, Lederman relinquished the guitar [which was subsequently destroyed] and agreed not to speak further about Harrison or the case. The same week the case was filed, Staten Island University Hospital announced that Lederman would be replaced as director of radiation oncology.”

Lederman’s past troubled me. I suggested to Billy that he discuss the doctor with a medical professional whom he trusted before starting treatment with him. Billy did that. Then, on Labor Day (September 6, 2010), he told me, “I got nothing to lose. I’ve decided to give it a shot.”

Eight weeks later, Billy reported, “There are four tumors in my chest. One big one and three little ones. Lederman says he can shrink them and then maybe get rid of them by taking them out with a laser. He says it will take fifteen treatments or something like that. But there have been all kinds of delays about starting with the treatments.”

Eventually, the treatments started. By late-November, Billy was seeing Lederman twice a week. Six days before Christmas, we spoke again.

“This thing with Lederman is working,” Billy said. “There are two more nodules they got to get rid of, but the treatment is working. Lederman says, once they’re gone, they won’t come back.”

Five weeks later, on January 23, 2011, reality intervened.

“I got rid of Lederman,” he told me. “I got the feeling that he was starting to play games with me. I can’t trust what he’s telling me, and he wasn’t communicating with my other doctors.”

The last five months were a sad end game.

“I get headaches all the time now from the stress. The pain pills they’re giving me to take the headaches away make me shaky . . . I don’t know how much time I’ve got left . . . I’m feeling positive. I gotta think that way. One way or the other, I’ll be all right.”

The last time we spoke, Billy was in a reflective mood.

“I got two good kids . . . I’ve had a good life . . . I’m blessed with the people I’ve known and the things I’ve done . . . I want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me.”

“No, thank you.  Whatever happens, you’ll always be my champion.”

I meant it.

Billy died at Benedictine Hospital at 10:38 this morning. He was my friend. I’ll miss him.

Thomas Hauser can be reached by email at

Comment on this article


2015 Fight of the Year – Francisco Vargas vs Takashi Miura



The WBC World Super Featherweight title bout between Francisco Vargas and Takashi Miura came on one of the biggest boxing stages of 2015, as the bout served as the HBO pay-per-view’s co-main event on November 21st, in support of Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez.

Miura entered the fight with a (29-2-2) record and he was making the fifth defense of his world title, while Vargas entered the fight with an undefeated mark of (22-0-1) in what was his first world title fight. Both men had a reputation for all-out fighting, with Miura especially earning high praise for his title defense in Mexico where he defeated Sergio Thompson in a fiercely contested battle.

The fight started out hotly contested, and the intensity never let up. Vargas seemed to win the first two rounds, but by the fourth round, Miura seemed to pull ahead, scoring a knock-down and fighting with a lot of confidence. After brawling the first four rounds, Miura appeared to settle into a more technical approach. Rounds 5 and 6 saw the pendulum swing back towards Vargas, as he withstood Miura’s rush to open the fifth round and the sixth round saw both men exchanging hard punches.

The big swinging continued, and though Vargas likely edged Miura in rounds 5 and 6, Vargas’ face was cut in at least two spots and Miura started to assert himself again in rounds 7 and 8. Miura was beginning to grow in confidence while it appeared that Vargas was beginning to slow down, and Miura appeared to hurt Vargas at the end of the 8th round.

Vargas turned the tide again at the start of the ninth round, scoring a knock down with an uppercut and a straight right hand that took Miura’s legs and sent him to the canvas. Purely on instinct, Miura got back up and continued to fight, but Vargas was landing frequently and with force. Referee Tony Weeks stepped in to stop the fight at the halfway point of round 9 as Miura was sustaining a barrage of punches.

Miura still had a minute and a half to survive if he was going to get out of the round, and it was clear that he was not going to stop fighting.

A back and forth battle of wills between two world championship level fighters, Takashi Miura versus “El Bandido” Vargas wins the 2015 Fight of the Year.



Continue Reading


Jan 9 in Germany – Feigenbutz and De Carolis To Settle Score



This coming Saturday, January 9th, the stage is set at the Baden Arena in Offenburg, Germany for a re-match between Vincent Feigenbutz and Giovanni De Carolis. The highly anticipated re-match is set to air on SAT.1 in Germany, and Feigenbutz will once again be defending his GBU and interim WBA World titles at Super Middleweight.

The first meeting between the two was less than three months ago, on October 17th and that meeting saw Feigenbutz controversially edge De Carolis on the judge’s cards by scores of (115-113, 114-113 and 115-113). De Carolis scored a flash knock down in the opening round, and he appeared to outbox Feigenbutz in the early going, but the 20 year old German champion came on in the later rounds.

The first bout is described as one of the most crowd-pleasing bouts of the year in Germany, and De Carolis and many observers felt that the Italian had done enough to win.

De Carolis told German language website RAN.DE that he was more prepared for the re-match, and that due to the arrogance Feigenbutz displayed in the aftermath of the first fight, he was confident that he had won over some of the audience. Though De Carolis fell short of predicting victory, he promised a re-vamped strategy tailored to what he has learned about Feigenbutz, whom he termed immature and inexperienced.

The stage is set for Feigenbutz vs De Carolis 2, this Saturday January 9th in Offenburg, Germany. If you can get to the live event do it, if not you have SAT.1 in Germany airing the fights, and The Boxing Channel right back here for full results.


Continue Reading


2015 Knock Out of the Year – Saul Alvarez KO’s James Kirkland



On May 9th of 2015, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez delivered a resonant knock-out of James Kirkland on HBO that wins the 2015 KO of the Year.

The knock-out itself came in the third round, after slightly more than two minutes of action. The end came when Alvarez delivered a single, big right hand that caught Kirkland on the jaw and left him flat on his back after spinning to the canvas.Alvarez was clearly the big star heading into the fight. The fight was telecast by HBO for free just one week after the controversial and disappointing Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao fight, and Alvarez was under pressure to deliver the type of finish that people were going to talk about. Kirkland was happy to oblige Alvarez, taking it right to Alvarez from the start. Kirkland’s aggression saw him appear to land blows that troubled the young Mexican in the early going. Alvarez played good defense, and he floored Kirkland in the first round, displaying his power and his technique in knocking down an aggressive opponent.

However, Kirkland kept coming at Alvarez and the fight entered the third round with both men working hard and the feeling that the fight would not go the distance. Kirkland continued to move forward, keeping “Canelo” against the ropes and scoring points with a barrage of punches while looking for an opening.

At around the two minute mark, Alvarez landed an uppercut that sent Kirkland to the canvas again. Kirkland got up, but it was clear that he did not have his legs under him. Kirkland was going to try to survive the round, but Alvarez had an opportunity to close out the fight. The question was would he take it?

Alvarez closed in on Kirkland, putting his opponent’s back to the ropes. Kirkland was hurt, but he was still dangerous, pawing with punches and loading up for one big shot.

But it was the big shot “Canelo” threw that ended the night. Kirkland never saw it coming, as he was loading up with a huge right hand of his own. The right Alvarez threw cracked Kirkland in the jaw, and his eyes went blank. His big right hand whizzed harmlessly over the head of a ducking Alvarez, providing the momentum for the spin that left Kirkland prone on the canvas.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez went on to defeat Miguel Cotto in his second fight of 2015 and he is clearly one of boxing’s biggest stars heading into 2016. On May 9th Alvarez added another reel to his highlight film when he knocked out James Kirkland with the 2015 “Knock Out of the Year”.

Photo by naoki fukuda


Continue Reading