Connect with us

Articles

Golden Boy Signs Antonio Orozco & Other Fight News…AVILA

Published

on

Golden Boy Signs Antonio Orozco LOS ANGELES – Normally when a guy gets knocked down during a fight,  skepticism emerges, but not when the prospect is a kid named Antonio Orozco. A dominating win convinced many that a phantom knockdown is not the norm for the youngster from San Diego.

Orozco, 23, has convinced Golden Boy Promotions that he’s got star quality and fits the bill for the future on the Los Angeles-based company’s constant search for the next Oscar De La Hoya.

Orozco arrived Wednesday morning at the downtown office of Golden Boy with his team, including manager Frank Espinoza and co-promoter Frankie Espinoza Jr. Golden Boy signed the San Diego fighter and will be the lead promoter with Espinoza Promotions sharing credit.

“It’s the opportunity of a lifetime,” says Orozco (11-0, 8 KOs) a junior welterweight who spent years in Tecate, Mexico. “It’s a promotion company respected by everyone.”

Many envision Orozco as a bigger version of Israel Vazquez, a slugger who can box and defend while forging forward in an impressive and aggressive manner.

“We hope to show our skill,” said Orozco, 23, who now lives in National City.

Espinoza signed to manage Orozco last year and the junior welterweight fought on several Golden Boy cards. Top Rank also got a look at the likeable prizefighter whose style captivates all that see him. Even last Friday when he was dropped by a punch that seemingly nobody saw.

“Even I didn’t see the punch,” joked Orozco, who got up quickly without hesitation and mowed down the clever Josh Beeman in three rounds.

So far his biggest win came against Manny Aguilar who had 14 wins and one defeat when they met last March in Orange County. Orozco knocked him out in one round.

“I’m here to make my dreams come true,” Orozco said.

 

Golden Boy Signs Antonio Orozco Other boxing chatter

Pico Rivera’s Rico Ramos (19-0, 10 KOs) fights Japan’s Akifumi Shimoda (23-2-1, 10 KOs) for the WBA featherweight world title on Saturday July 9. The speedy Ramos is making his first bid for a world title. Shimoda is making his first world championship defense. The title fight takes place in Atlantic City, New Jersey. On the same card former middleweight world champion Paul Williams meets Cuba’s Erislandy Lara.

Featherweight prospect Ronnie Rios (14-0, 6 KOs) recently signed a five-year contract with manager Frank Espinoza. The Santa Ana boxer is scheduled to fight at Las Vegas on July 23, when WBA junior welterweight titleholder Amir Khan defends his title against Zab Judah. Rios, 21, fights under the Golden Boy Promotions banner.

Oxnard’s Javier “Pelos” Garcia (4-2-1, 4 KOs) stopped Japan’s Takashi Takenaka (0-1) in round two at Commerce Casino on Friday July 1. Other winners were Carlos Rodriguez (1-0), Herbert Acevedo (4-0), and Allan Benitez (1-1). Heavyweights Steve Fierro and Cornell Davis fought to a draw in the All Star Promotions fight card. MMA results: Riverside’s Keith Carson (4-2-1), Dylan Martinez, Adam Tua and Nicholas Navarro all won their bouts.

Coachella’s Randy “El Matador” Caballero grabbed the WBC Youth super bantamweight title by unanimous decision over Arizona’s talented Alexis Santiago after eight rounds at Fantasy Springs Casino. Other winners were East L.A.’s Frankie Gomez and Seniesa Estrada, San Diego’s Antonio Orozco, San Bernardino’s Juan Sandoval and Coachella’s Lupe Salcido.

WBA flyweight world titleholder Hernan “Tyson” Marquez (31-2, 24 KOs) knocked out Edrin Dapudong (22-4, 13 KOs) of the Philippines at 1:49 of round three to retain the title on Saturday in Hermasillo, Mexico. It was the southpaw slugger’s first defense of the title he won by stopping Luis Concepcion of Panama last April.

WBA junior bantamweight titleholder Hugo Cazares (34-6-2, 24 KOs) defends against Arturo Badillo (20-1, 18 KOs) on Saturday July 9, in Mazatlan, Mexico. Cazares is making his fourth world title defense. He’s a former junior flyweight world champion. Badillo fights out of Tijuana.

Jesus “El Martillo” Gonzalez (26-1, 14 KOs) meets Henry Buchanan (20-2, 13 KOs) for the vacant NABF super middleweight title on Friday in Phoenix. Both fighters need the win to become part of the super middleweight sweepstakes when a victor is declared for the ongoing Super Six Super Middleweight tournament.

Canada’s Lucian Bute (28-0, 23 KOs) defends the IBF super middleweight world title against France’s Jean Paul Mendy (29-0-1, 16 KOs) on Saturday July 9 in Bucharest, Romania. Bute is originally from Romania and is making his eighth world title defense.

Mexico’s Jhonny Gonzalez (48-7, 42 KOs) defends the WBC featherweight world title against Tomas Villa (23-7-4, 14 KOs) of Chihuahua, Mexico. The fight takes place in Atlantic City on Saturday. Gonzalez is also a former bantamweight world champion from Mexico City.

WBA featherweight titleholder Jorge Barros (33-1-1, 18 KOs) retained the world title by split decision over former champion Celestino Caballero (34-4, 23 KOs) of Panama. The title fight took place last Saturday in Barros country Argentina. It was his second title defense.

WBO, WBC and IBF heavyweight titleholder Wladimir Klitschko (56-3, 49 KOs) of Ukrained beat Great Britain’s David Haye (25-2, 23 KOs) to take his WBA heavyweight title. However, Klitschko’s consecutive knockout streak was snapped at five. The contest went to a 12-round unanimous decision in Hamburg, Germany on Saturday.

IBF flyweight titleholder Arely Mucino (13-0-1, 8 KOs) knocked out Soledad Macedo (10-7-1) to keep the title. IBF junior flyweight Jessica Chavez (12-3-2, 3 KOs) stopped challenger Mayerli Altamar (10-2-2, 5 KOs) of Colombia in round five; and IBF minimum weight titleholder Katia Gutierrez (13-3) beat Ana Arrazola (20-7-3, 17 KOs) to keep the title. All three fights took place in Monterrey, Mexico on Saturday.

WBC flyweight titleholder Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (81-3-1, 44 KOs) defeated Japan’s Takuya Kogawa (17-2, 10 KOs) by unanimous decision to retain the title in his country Thailand on Friday. Wonjongkam, 33, is a two-time flyweight world champion.

WBA junior featherweight titleholder Chanttall Martinez (14-4, 6 KOs) won by knock out over Colombia’s Paulina Cardona (18-9-4) at 1:11 of round eight. The fight occurred at Panama City on Friday.

Articles

2015 Fight of the Year – Francisco Vargas vs Takashi Miura

Published

on

The WBC World Super Featherweight title bout between Francisco Vargas and Takashi Miura came on one of the biggest boxing stages of 2015, as the bout served as the HBO pay-per-view’s co-main event on November 21st, in support of Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez.

Miura entered the fight with a (29-2-2) record and he was making the fifth defense of his world title, while Vargas entered the fight with an undefeated mark of (22-0-1) in what was his first world title fight. Both men had a reputation for all-out fighting, with Miura especially earning high praise for his title defense in Mexico where he defeated Sergio Thompson in a fiercely contested battle.

The fight started out hotly contested, and the intensity never let up. Vargas seemed to win the first two rounds, but by the fourth round, Miura seemed to pull ahead, scoring a knock-down and fighting with a lot of confidence. After brawling the first four rounds, Miura appeared to settle into a more technical approach. Rounds 5 and 6 saw the pendulum swing back towards Vargas, as he withstood Miura’s rush to open the fifth round and the sixth round saw both men exchanging hard punches.

The big swinging continued, and though Vargas likely edged Miura in rounds 5 and 6, Vargas’ face was cut in at least two spots and Miura started to assert himself again in rounds 7 and 8. Miura was beginning to grow in confidence while it appeared that Vargas was beginning to slow down, and Miura appeared to hurt Vargas at the end of the 8th round.

Vargas turned the tide again at the start of the ninth round, scoring a knock down with an uppercut and a straight right hand that took Miura’s legs and sent him to the canvas. Purely on instinct, Miura got back up and continued to fight, but Vargas was landing frequently and with force. Referee Tony Weeks stepped in to stop the fight at the halfway point of round 9 as Miura was sustaining a barrage of punches.

Miura still had a minute and a half to survive if he was going to get out of the round, and it was clear that he was not going to stop fighting.

A back and forth battle of wills between two world championship level fighters, Takashi Miura versus “El Bandido” Vargas wins the 2015 Fight of the Year.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

 

Continue Reading

Articles

Jan 9 in Germany – Feigenbutz and De Carolis To Settle Score

Published

on

This coming Saturday, January 9th, the stage is set at the Baden Arena in Offenburg, Germany for a re-match between Vincent Feigenbutz and Giovanni De Carolis. The highly anticipated re-match is set to air on SAT.1 in Germany, and Feigenbutz will once again be defending his GBU and interim WBA World titles at Super Middleweight.

The first meeting between the two was less than three months ago, on October 17th and that meeting saw Feigenbutz controversially edge De Carolis on the judge’s cards by scores of (115-113, 114-113 and 115-113). De Carolis scored a flash knock down in the opening round, and he appeared to outbox Feigenbutz in the early going, but the 20 year old German champion came on in the later rounds.

The first bout is described as one of the most crowd-pleasing bouts of the year in Germany, and De Carolis and many observers felt that the Italian had done enough to win.

De Carolis told German language website RAN.DE that he was more prepared for the re-match, and that due to the arrogance Feigenbutz displayed in the aftermath of the first fight, he was confident that he had won over some of the audience. Though De Carolis fell short of predicting victory, he promised a re-vamped strategy tailored to what he has learned about Feigenbutz, whom he termed immature and inexperienced.

The stage is set for Feigenbutz vs De Carolis 2, this Saturday January 9th in Offenburg, Germany. If you can get to the live event do it, if not you have SAT.1 in Germany airing the fights, and The Boxing Channel right back here for full results.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Articles

2015 Knock Out of the Year – Saul Alvarez KO’s James Kirkland

Published

on

On May 9th of 2015, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez delivered a resonant knock-out of James Kirkland on HBO that wins the 2015 KO of the Year.

The knock-out itself came in the third round, after slightly more than two minutes of action. The end came when Alvarez delivered a single, big right hand that caught Kirkland on the jaw and left him flat on his back after spinning to the canvas.Alvarez was clearly the big star heading into the fight. The fight was telecast by HBO for free just one week after the controversial and disappointing Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao fight, and Alvarez was under pressure to deliver the type of finish that people were going to talk about. Kirkland was happy to oblige Alvarez, taking it right to Alvarez from the start. Kirkland’s aggression saw him appear to land blows that troubled the young Mexican in the early going. Alvarez played good defense, and he floored Kirkland in the first round, displaying his power and his technique in knocking down an aggressive opponent.

However, Kirkland kept coming at Alvarez and the fight entered the third round with both men working hard and the feeling that the fight would not go the distance. Kirkland continued to move forward, keeping “Canelo” against the ropes and scoring points with a barrage of punches while looking for an opening.

At around the two minute mark, Alvarez landed an uppercut that sent Kirkland to the canvas again. Kirkland got up, but it was clear that he did not have his legs under him. Kirkland was going to try to survive the round, but Alvarez had an opportunity to close out the fight. The question was would he take it?

Alvarez closed in on Kirkland, putting his opponent’s back to the ropes. Kirkland was hurt, but he was still dangerous, pawing with punches and loading up for one big shot.

But it was the big shot “Canelo” threw that ended the night. Kirkland never saw it coming, as he was loading up with a huge right hand of his own. The right Alvarez threw cracked Kirkland in the jaw, and his eyes went blank. His big right hand whizzed harmlessly over the head of a ducking Alvarez, providing the momentum for the spin that left Kirkland prone on the canvas.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez went on to defeat Miguel Cotto in his second fight of 2015 and he is clearly one of boxing’s biggest stars heading into 2016. On May 9th Alvarez added another reel to his highlight film when he knocked out James Kirkland with the 2015 “Knock Out of the Year”.

Photo by naoki fukuda

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Trending