Connect with us

Articles

Pete Quillin Wants Chavez Jr, Manfredo, Macklin, Martinez..He Wants Big Fights

Published

on

 

 

LOS ANGELES (August 4, 2011) – Unbeaten middleweight contender Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillinwants to make-up for lost time, yet, the multi-talented fighter has to remain patient and play the boxing game.

Quillin virtually lost all of 2009 due to a series of injuries — hand surgery, hairline eye fracture, and then an emergency appendectomy — that kept him out of the ring for 1 ½ years.

International Boxing Federation No. 5-rated Quillin (25-0, 19 KOs), fighting out of Los Angeles, basically used late replacement Jason“The Hammer” LeHoullier (21-6-1, 8 KOs) as a human punching bag in their July 23 fight that ended in a fifth-round technical knockout. Quillin’s original opponent, Tarvis Simms, withdrew less than a week prior to their fight due to a broken rib.

“Hey,” Quillin said, “at least I got in a fight and I was able to showcase my talents in Las Vegas, after having eight agonizing weeks of training. Golden Boy delivered. LeHoullier may not have been the opponent I would have liked, but Icame out of that fight in good shape, and I’m ready to return as soon as possible.

”I looked good and did what I said: he’d fall down or quit. That’s my mission every fight. I’m not just out there to look good.”

Quillin’s trainer, Freddie Roach, recently went public saying ‘Kid Chocolate” can beat world middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, who reportedly is tied-up until March. “I’m willing to fight anybody that Golden Boy, Freddie and John Seip (his manager) put in there with me for a major test,” Quillin explained.“Sergio Martinez is the best out there for me. He’s a good athlete, but I can match his athleticism, and I’m a little better boxer. The Paul Williams fight was the only spectacular fight he’s had. The blueprint to beat (Kelly) Pavlik had already been written for him by (Bernard) Hopkins.

“I’m hungry and when I get my chance, I promise that I won’t let anybody down. My team is working together and I’ll be ready.”

The general consensus is that Quillin needs to gain valuable experience defeating a top 10 fighter in order to position him for a legitimate shot at fighting Martinez. “Petey did what he had to do against LeHouiller and he also got in some rounds,” Seip commented. “He boxed a few rounds and broke-down his opponent. It was more like a sparring session, fighting at his pace, and when his corner said to takeout his opponent, he did. I would have liked to have seen him in deeper waters but, basically, he played with the guy. His left hook was fabulous and his legs were strong, something that wasn’t there before he started working with these guys. He has great speed and, defensively, he’s much better and better balanced. He looks really good, no longer going out there for the knockout. I’ve been impressed by his improvement.

“We’re looking for a big-time fight. I’m waiting to hear back from Golden Boy about his next fight, whether it’s in September or October. Golden Boy needs to get us a couple of good fights before Martinez. We’ll take on guys like (Julio) Chavez, Jr., (Matthew) Macklin, (Daniel) Geale, (Peter) Manfredo) or (Marco Antonio) Rubio. Those are the type opponents we need to fight and win to get closer to a Martinez fight. Petey is HBO ready; he’s 25-0 and a KO artist. Golden Boy needs to get us a big fight on HBO so the boxing world can see this kid fight.”

Sweet days are ahead for “Kid Chocolate” and someday his post fight ritual of tossing candy kisses into the crowd, he firmly believes, will be right after a world title belt is placed around his waist.

 

Articles

2015 Fight of the Year – Francisco Vargas vs Takashi Miura

Published

on

The WBC World Super Featherweight title bout between Francisco Vargas and Takashi Miura came on one of the biggest boxing stages of 2015, as the bout served as the HBO pay-per-view’s co-main event on November 21st, in support of Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez.

Miura entered the fight with a (29-2-2) record and he was making the fifth defense of his world title, while Vargas entered the fight with an undefeated mark of (22-0-1) in what was his first world title fight. Both men had a reputation for all-out fighting, with Miura especially earning high praise for his title defense in Mexico where he defeated Sergio Thompson in a fiercely contested battle.

The fight started out hotly contested, and the intensity never let up. Vargas seemed to win the first two rounds, but by the fourth round, Miura seemed to pull ahead, scoring a knock-down and fighting with a lot of confidence. After brawling the first four rounds, Miura appeared to settle into a more technical approach. Rounds 5 and 6 saw the pendulum swing back towards Vargas, as he withstood Miura’s rush to open the fifth round and the sixth round saw both men exchanging hard punches.

The big swinging continued, and though Vargas likely edged Miura in rounds 5 and 6, Vargas’ face was cut in at least two spots and Miura started to assert himself again in rounds 7 and 8. Miura was beginning to grow in confidence while it appeared that Vargas was beginning to slow down, and Miura appeared to hurt Vargas at the end of the 8th round.

Vargas turned the tide again at the start of the ninth round, scoring a knock down with an uppercut and a straight right hand that took Miura’s legs and sent him to the canvas. Purely on instinct, Miura got back up and continued to fight, but Vargas was landing frequently and with force. Referee Tony Weeks stepped in to stop the fight at the halfway point of round 9 as Miura was sustaining a barrage of punches.

Miura still had a minute and a half to survive if he was going to get out of the round, and it was clear that he was not going to stop fighting.

A back and forth battle of wills between two world championship level fighters, Takashi Miura versus “El Bandido” Vargas wins the 2015 Fight of the Year.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

 

Continue Reading

Articles

Jan 9 in Germany – Feigenbutz and De Carolis To Settle Score

Published

on

This coming Saturday, January 9th, the stage is set at the Baden Arena in Offenburg, Germany for a re-match between Vincent Feigenbutz and Giovanni De Carolis. The highly anticipated re-match is set to air on SAT.1 in Germany, and Feigenbutz will once again be defending his GBU and interim WBA World titles at Super Middleweight.

The first meeting between the two was less than three months ago, on October 17th and that meeting saw Feigenbutz controversially edge De Carolis on the judge’s cards by scores of (115-113, 114-113 and 115-113). De Carolis scored a flash knock down in the opening round, and he appeared to outbox Feigenbutz in the early going, but the 20 year old German champion came on in the later rounds.

The first bout is described as one of the most crowd-pleasing bouts of the year in Germany, and De Carolis and many observers felt that the Italian had done enough to win.

De Carolis told German language website RAN.DE that he was more prepared for the re-match, and that due to the arrogance Feigenbutz displayed in the aftermath of the first fight, he was confident that he had won over some of the audience. Though De Carolis fell short of predicting victory, he promised a re-vamped strategy tailored to what he has learned about Feigenbutz, whom he termed immature and inexperienced.

The stage is set for Feigenbutz vs De Carolis 2, this Saturday January 9th in Offenburg, Germany. If you can get to the live event do it, if not you have SAT.1 in Germany airing the fights, and The Boxing Channel right back here for full results.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Articles

2015 Knock Out of the Year – Saul Alvarez KO’s James Kirkland

Published

on

On May 9th of 2015, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez delivered a resonant knock-out of James Kirkland on HBO that wins the 2015 KO of the Year.

The knock-out itself came in the third round, after slightly more than two minutes of action. The end came when Alvarez delivered a single, big right hand that caught Kirkland on the jaw and left him flat on his back after spinning to the canvas.Alvarez was clearly the big star heading into the fight. The fight was telecast by HBO for free just one week after the controversial and disappointing Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao fight, and Alvarez was under pressure to deliver the type of finish that people were going to talk about. Kirkland was happy to oblige Alvarez, taking it right to Alvarez from the start. Kirkland’s aggression saw him appear to land blows that troubled the young Mexican in the early going. Alvarez played good defense, and he floored Kirkland in the first round, displaying his power and his technique in knocking down an aggressive opponent.

However, Kirkland kept coming at Alvarez and the fight entered the third round with both men working hard and the feeling that the fight would not go the distance. Kirkland continued to move forward, keeping “Canelo” against the ropes and scoring points with a barrage of punches while looking for an opening.

At around the two minute mark, Alvarez landed an uppercut that sent Kirkland to the canvas again. Kirkland got up, but it was clear that he did not have his legs under him. Kirkland was going to try to survive the round, but Alvarez had an opportunity to close out the fight. The question was would he take it?

Alvarez closed in on Kirkland, putting his opponent’s back to the ropes. Kirkland was hurt, but he was still dangerous, pawing with punches and loading up for one big shot.

But it was the big shot “Canelo” threw that ended the night. Kirkland never saw it coming, as he was loading up with a huge right hand of his own. The right Alvarez threw cracked Kirkland in the jaw, and his eyes went blank. His big right hand whizzed harmlessly over the head of a ducking Alvarez, providing the momentum for the spin that left Kirkland prone on the canvas.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez went on to defeat Miguel Cotto in his second fight of 2015 and he is clearly one of boxing’s biggest stars heading into 2016. On May 9th Alvarez added another reel to his highlight film when he knocked out James Kirkland with the 2015 “Knock Out of the Year”.

Photo by naoki fukuda

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Trending