Connect with us

Articles

Malignaggi-Broner Is OFFICIAL For June 22

Published

on

showtime,golden boy,

WBA WELTERWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION

PAULIE “THE MAGIC MAN” MALIGNAGGI TO DEFEND TITLE AGAINST

TWO-DIVISION WORLD CHAMPION ADRIEN “THE PROBLEM” BRONER IN

MALIGNAGGI’S HOMETOWN OF BROOKLYN AT BARCLAYS CENTER

ON SATURDAY, JUNE 22

PLUS, THE HEAVYWEIGHT REMATCH BETWEEN JOHNATHON BANKS AND

SETH “MAYHEM” MITCHELL FEATURED ON EXCITING

LIVE SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING TELECAST

TICKETS GO ON SALE THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 27 AT 10:00 AM ET!

BROOKLYN (April 25, 2013) – Since the beginning of their professional careers, Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi and Adrien “The Problem” Broner, two of the biggest talkers in all of boxing, have never been afraid to speak up. Now, the time has come to put up or shut up as Malignaggi will defend his WBA Welterweight World Championship against undefeated Two-Division World Champion Broner on Saturday, June 22 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn in a SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® main event. Plus, the heavyweight rematch the world has been waiting for is set as Johnathon Banks will look to repeat his 2012 upset win over Seth “Mayhem” Mitchellin the co-feature for Banks’ NABO and WBC International Heavyweight titles.

Malignaggi vs. Broner, a 12-round fight for Malignaggi’s WBA Welterweight World Championship is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona and AT&T with Banks vs. Mitchell being presented in association with K2 Promotions.  The SHOWTIME Championship Boxing telecast begins at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).  SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® is available in Spanish on secondary audio programming (SAP).  Preliminary fights will air on SHOWTIME EXTREME at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).

Tickets, priced at $250, $125, $75, $50 and $25, plus applicable taxes and service charges, go on sale Saturday, April 27 at 10:00 a.m. ET and will be available for purchase at www.barclayscenter.com, www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations, by calling 800-745-3000 and at the American Express Box Office at Barclays Center beginning on Saturday, April 27 at noon ET. For group tickets, please call 800-GROUP-BK.

“This fight was the main motivation for winning my second world championship last year,” said Malignaggi. “I wanted be in a huge main event at Barclays Center. This is a blockbuster event and I can’t wait to make a successful title defense in Brooklyn where my roots are.”

“Paulette better be in some shape,” said Broner. “On June 22, I will be a three-time world champion in three weight classes at just 23-years-old.”

“I feel very good about this fight,” said Banks. “I expect a more determined and a more powerful Seth Mitchell for the rematch and I look forward to the challenge on June 22nd. I’m excited to be fighting and intend to put on a terrific performance for those in attendance at Barclays Center as well as those watching on SHOWTIME.”

“I’m excited about my opportunity to rematch Johnathon Banks on June 22 at Barclays Center,” said Mitchell. “I was disappointed with my last performance against him and look forward to meeting him in the ring once again. My team has been working extremely hard in preparation for this fight. I’m confident that my performance on June 22nd will properly showcase my abilities and will reignite talks of me competing for the heavyweight championship of the world.”

“Once again, we’re lookingforward to bringing a blockbuster fight to Brooklyn at Barclays Center,” said Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. “Paulie Malignaggi is the type of fighter that is not going to let anyone take his belt from him on his home turf, but he has his work cut out for him against one of the most talented fighters in the sport in undefeated rising superstar Adrien ‘The Problem’ Broner. Add in the rematch between Johnathon Banks and Seth Mitchell and it’s safe to say that the fireworks will be flying a few weeks before the Fourth of July.”

“All of us at the network are thrilled to have Adrien in his SHOWTIME debut, especially in a tough fight against the very smart and crafty world champion Paulie Malignaggi,” said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President and General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports.”When this fight first came available, I jumped at the chance to have it on SHOWTIME. This fight was one of the most talked about match ups of the year before it was even announced.”

“We are proud to host Brooklyn’s own Paulie Malignaggi for his second fight at Barclays Center,” said Brett Yormark, CEO of Barclays Center and the Brooklyn Nets. “Paulie is a true pro at captivating audiences with his quick boxing skills, flashy style and invigorating personality. He is Brooklyn. While Paulie will certainly be the crowd favorite, we expect Adrien Broner to give him a great fight in what is sure to be another memorable night of championship boxing at Barclays Center.”

“All of us at the network are thrilled to have Adrien Broner in his SHOWTIME debut, especially in a tough fight against the very smart and crafty world champion Paulie Malignaggi,” said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President and General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports. “When this fight first came available, I jumped at the chance to have it on SHOWTIME. This fight was one of the most talked about match ups of the year before it was even announced.”

One of Brooklyn’s favorite fighting sons, Paulie Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KO’s) is a two-division world champion known for his lighting fast hands and even faster mouth. He first made his mark in the 140-pound weight class when he defeated Lovemore N’dou in 2007 for the IBF crown. In 2010, Malignaggi made the move up to welterweight and in April 2012 he captured the WBA welterweight title, traveling to the Ukraine to stop Vyacheslav Senchenko in his hometown. He has defended his belt once thus far, decisioning Pablo Cesar Cano at Barclays Center last October. Also well known for his role as color commentator on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING, the 32-year-old who has faced the likes of Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton, Amir Khan and Juan Diaz, will look to stop the rise of Adrien Broner a few miles from his home in Brooklyn.

At 23 years old, Adrien Broner (26-0, 22 KO’s) has captivated the boxing world with his work inside the ring and flashy charisma outside of it. Unbeaten as a pro, with a skill set that allows him to box or bang, and possessing a warrior’s attitude and heart, Broner won the WBO junior lightweight title in 2011 with a third round knockout of Vicente Martin Rodriguez. After knockouts of Eloy Perez and Vicente Escobedo, he moved up to 135 pounds, winning the WBC title with a thoroughly dominating eighth round technical knockout of Antonio DeMarco last November. Most recently, Broner stopped Gavin Rees in five rounds in February, and on June 22, he will make the leap from 135 to 147 pounds to challenge “The Magic Man.” Should he win, he will join Roberto Duran, Roy Jones Jr. and Robert Guerrero as the only fighters to win a world championship in their first fight after jumping a weight class.

The owner of one of boxing’s most inspirational stories, Johnathon Banks (29-1-1, 19 KO’s) captured the hearts of fight fans last fall. Shortly after the death of his mentor and trainer, Emanuel Steward, Banks took over for the legendary Hall of Famer as the trainer of Heavyweight World Champion Wladimir Klitschko in his title defense win over Mariusz Wach in November. A week later, the 30-year-old from Detroit stepped into the ring himself, and stunned the boxing world with his second round technical knockout win over Mitchell. On June 22, he’ll look to do it again.

Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell (25-1-1, 19 KO’s) is eager for the opportunity to avenge his only pro loss when he faces Banks at the end of June. A former standout Michigan State University linebacker, Mitchell tore through his opposition in the boxing ring for over four years, most notably beating Taurus Sykes, Timur Ibragimov, and Chazz Witherspoon, all by knockout. Now he’ll have to show the resilience of a champion as he attempts to even the score on June 22.

A full undercard will be announced shortly.

For more information, visit www.goldenboypromotions.com or www.sports.sho.com, follow on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GoldenBoyBoxing, www.twitter.com/paulmalignaggi, www.twitter.com/AdrienBronerwww.twitter.com/BanksBoxingEnt, www.twitter.com/barclayscenter and www.twitter.com/SHOSports, follow the conversation using #MalignaggiBroner or become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GoldenBoyBoxing and www.facebook.com/SHOSports.

Comment on this article

Articles

2015 Fight of the Year – Francisco Vargas vs Takashi Miura

Published

on

The WBC World Super Featherweight title bout between Francisco Vargas and Takashi Miura came on one of the biggest boxing stages of 2015, as the bout served as the HBO pay-per-view’s co-main event on November 21st, in support of Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez.

Miura entered the fight with a (29-2-2) record and he was making the fifth defense of his world title, while Vargas entered the fight with an undefeated mark of (22-0-1) in what was his first world title fight. Both men had a reputation for all-out fighting, with Miura especially earning high praise for his title defense in Mexico where he defeated Sergio Thompson in a fiercely contested battle.

The fight started out hotly contested, and the intensity never let up. Vargas seemed to win the first two rounds, but by the fourth round, Miura seemed to pull ahead, scoring a knock-down and fighting with a lot of confidence. After brawling the first four rounds, Miura appeared to settle into a more technical approach. Rounds 5 and 6 saw the pendulum swing back towards Vargas, as he withstood Miura’s rush to open the fifth round and the sixth round saw both men exchanging hard punches.

The big swinging continued, and though Vargas likely edged Miura in rounds 5 and 6, Vargas’ face was cut in at least two spots and Miura started to assert himself again in rounds 7 and 8. Miura was beginning to grow in confidence while it appeared that Vargas was beginning to slow down, and Miura appeared to hurt Vargas at the end of the 8th round.

Vargas turned the tide again at the start of the ninth round, scoring a knock down with an uppercut and a straight right hand that took Miura’s legs and sent him to the canvas. Purely on instinct, Miura got back up and continued to fight, but Vargas was landing frequently and with force. Referee Tony Weeks stepped in to stop the fight at the halfway point of round 9 as Miura was sustaining a barrage of punches.

Miura still had a minute and a half to survive if he was going to get out of the round, and it was clear that he was not going to stop fighting.

A back and forth battle of wills between two world championship level fighters, Takashi Miura versus “El Bandido” Vargas wins the 2015 Fight of the Year.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

 

Continue Reading

Articles

Jan 9 in Germany – Feigenbutz and De Carolis To Settle Score

Published

on

This coming Saturday, January 9th, the stage is set at the Baden Arena in Offenburg, Germany for a re-match between Vincent Feigenbutz and Giovanni De Carolis. The highly anticipated re-match is set to air on SAT.1 in Germany, and Feigenbutz will once again be defending his GBU and interim WBA World titles at Super Middleweight.

The first meeting between the two was less than three months ago, on October 17th and that meeting saw Feigenbutz controversially edge De Carolis on the judge’s cards by scores of (115-113, 114-113 and 115-113). De Carolis scored a flash knock down in the opening round, and he appeared to outbox Feigenbutz in the early going, but the 20 year old German champion came on in the later rounds.

The first bout is described as one of the most crowd-pleasing bouts of the year in Germany, and De Carolis and many observers felt that the Italian had done enough to win.

De Carolis told German language website RAN.DE that he was more prepared for the re-match, and that due to the arrogance Feigenbutz displayed in the aftermath of the first fight, he was confident that he had won over some of the audience. Though De Carolis fell short of predicting victory, he promised a re-vamped strategy tailored to what he has learned about Feigenbutz, whom he termed immature and inexperienced.

The stage is set for Feigenbutz vs De Carolis 2, this Saturday January 9th in Offenburg, Germany. If you can get to the live event do it, if not you have SAT.1 in Germany airing the fights, and The Boxing Channel right back here for full results.

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Articles

2015 Knock Out of the Year – Saul Alvarez KO’s James Kirkland

Published

on

On May 9th of 2015, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez delivered a resonant knock-out of James Kirkland on HBO that wins the 2015 KO of the Year.

The knock-out itself came in the third round, after slightly more than two minutes of action. The end came when Alvarez delivered a single, big right hand that caught Kirkland on the jaw and left him flat on his back after spinning to the canvas.Alvarez was clearly the big star heading into the fight. The fight was telecast by HBO for free just one week after the controversial and disappointing Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao fight, and Alvarez was under pressure to deliver the type of finish that people were going to talk about. Kirkland was happy to oblige Alvarez, taking it right to Alvarez from the start. Kirkland’s aggression saw him appear to land blows that troubled the young Mexican in the early going. Alvarez played good defense, and he floored Kirkland in the first round, displaying his power and his technique in knocking down an aggressive opponent.

However, Kirkland kept coming at Alvarez and the fight entered the third round with both men working hard and the feeling that the fight would not go the distance. Kirkland continued to move forward, keeping “Canelo” against the ropes and scoring points with a barrage of punches while looking for an opening.

At around the two minute mark, Alvarez landed an uppercut that sent Kirkland to the canvas again. Kirkland got up, but it was clear that he did not have his legs under him. Kirkland was going to try to survive the round, but Alvarez had an opportunity to close out the fight. The question was would he take it?

Alvarez closed in on Kirkland, putting his opponent’s back to the ropes. Kirkland was hurt, but he was still dangerous, pawing with punches and loading up for one big shot.

But it was the big shot “Canelo” threw that ended the night. Kirkland never saw it coming, as he was loading up with a huge right hand of his own. The right Alvarez threw cracked Kirkland in the jaw, and his eyes went blank. His big right hand whizzed harmlessly over the head of a ducking Alvarez, providing the momentum for the spin that left Kirkland prone on the canvas.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez went on to defeat Miguel Cotto in his second fight of 2015 and he is clearly one of boxing’s biggest stars heading into 2016. On May 9th Alvarez added another reel to his highlight film when he knocked out James Kirkland with the 2015 “Knock Out of the Year”.

Photo by naoki fukuda

WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Continue Reading

Trending