Connect with us


Lundy Beats Ajose on “Friday Night Fights”









New York, NY (7/19/13) – On Friday night, before a sold-out raucous crowd, DiBella Entertainment presented this week’s edition of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights at the historic Rockingham Park, in Salem, New Hampshire.

The 10-round main event featured a battle between WBC #3-rated junior welterweight Olusegun Ajose and WBC #5-rated “Hammerin'” Hank Lundy that ended with the latter winning a dominant 10-round unanimous decision.

Ajose was just two fights removed from his world title bid and first professional loss at the hands of Lucas Matthysse and was hoping an impressive victory over Lundy would put him back into the world title picture. Unfortunately, Lundy had other plans.

Lundy controlled the action behind a piston-like jab that continuously snapped back the head of former Olympian Ajose. Olusegun never seemed to be able to get into a groove. Despite looking good in a few early rounds, Lundy usually found a way to come back and steal the frame before each bell.

Lundy had a huge fifth frame, as he had Ajose hurt and reeling against the ropes. Luckily for Ajose, the end of the round was near and he was able to survive.

Ajose had some success in rounds eight and nine, but unfortunately it was too little, too late. In the end, Lundy was awarded the well-deserved 10-round unanimous decision, winning by scores of 100-90, and 98-92 twice. With the loss, Ajose’s record drops to 31-2 (14KO’s), while Lundy improves to 23-3-1 (11KO’s) and shows that he is truly a force to be reckoned with in the loaded 140lb. division.




In the co-feature bout, undefeated up-and-coming prospect Ryan “The Polish Prince” Kielczweski made a major statement that he is someone to watch in the super featherweight division with a spectacular one-punch KO over Puerto Rican knockout artist Miguel “Mikito” Soto, who entered the ring at 11-0 (11 KO’s).

Kielczweski, a former amateur standout, was celebrating his 24th birthday and fighting on national TV for the first time. Over five rounds, he looked absolutely sensational as he systematically broke down Soto.

Kielczweski came out for round one using beautiful footwork and boxing from the outside behind a stiff jab. It was a bit of a feeling-out round with Kielczweski looking to find his range.

In the second, Soto came out fast and looked to trap Kielczweski in the corner and unload a barrage of punches, but Kielczweski showed little concern and even shot his opponent a smile. Midway through the round, Kielczweski began landing a beautiful straight right hand for which Soto seemed to have no answer.

By the third round, Kielczweski was having his way with Soto, landing hard right hands followed by a short left hook that began to cause swelling around his foe’s right eye. Toward the end of the stanza, Kielczweski hurt Soto with a vicious combination to the body.

Soto’s eye had started to become grotesque by round four, as Kielczweski continued to pound away with both hands. Kielczweski was now timing Soto’s charges and landing a vicious right uppercut that visibly hurt him time and again.

In the fifth round, with Kielczweski sensing his opponent was ready to go, he began to let his hands go even more, landing almost at will. Just as the 10-second bell sounded, Kielczweski landed a monstrous left hook that sent Soto crashing down to the canvas face first. The referee didn’t even bother to count and immediately waved off the bout.

The official time of the stoppage was 2:59 of round five. With the win, Kielczweski improves to 17-0 (4KO’s) and truly emerges as someone to watch in the super featherweight division.

After the fight, Kielczweski commented on his victory.

“I am still fresh, I feel like I could go another five rounds. I hit him with a perfect left hook, right on the button. I controlled the fight the entire time. I used my jab and just took it one punch at a time. I am thrilled with my performance. This was a perfect way to celebrate my 24thbirthday.”



In the opening bout of the ESPN telecast, American heavyweight hopeful Charles Martin used his superior height and reach to pick apart New Jersey’s Aaron Kinch.

Martin calmly pressed the action against the much shorter Kinch, working behind a stiff jab, and mixing in good combinations to both the body and head. Kinch was content to stay on the outside and look to land his overhand right.

Well in control in the third round, Martin landed a short right hand from his southpaw stance, dropping Kinch on all fours. Kinch was in big trouble, but was able to survive the remaining seconds of the round.

Martin picked up the pace in the fourth and landed several heavy shots with both hands. Near the end of the round, Martin landed a vicious left uppercut that sent Kinch wobbling across the ring. Sensing his opponent was in serious trouble Martin jumped all over him, letting both hands go. The referee took a long look before stepping in and calling a halt to the contest at 2:55 of the frame.

With the win, Martin improved to a perfect 9-0-1 (8KO’s), while Kinch drops to 5-2-1 (1KO).


Undefeated heavyweight prospect Alexis Santos kept his unbeaten record intact in impressive fashion with a devastating fourth-round TKO over the extremely awkward Marlon Hayes.

Santos, the fighting pride of Lawrence, MA, came out firing in the first, looking to close the show and give the hundreds of fans in attendance something to cheer about.

Things got a bit ugly though, as Hayes was more content on showboating and talking, rather than actually fighting.

By the third round, Santos had settled down and began picking his shots more wisely. His patience paid off in the fourth, as Santos was able to badly hurt Hayes. Not giving his opponent a chance to recover, Santos jumped all over him, and landed a thunderous four-punch combination that sent Hayes down in a heap. The referee immediately called a halt to the contest at 1:14 of the fourth round. With the victory, Santos improved to 10-0 (9KO’s), while Hayes dropped to 23-12 (11KO’s).

In a battle of towering once-beaten heavyweights, Daniel Marks (9-1-1, 6KO’s) won a six-round majority decision over Jonathan Hamm (7-2, 5KO’s). One judge had the bout even at 57-57, while the other two both scored it for Marks, 59-55 and 58-56.

Before a large contingent of fans, former New England Golden Gloves Champion Gerald Schifone, from Brockton, MA, successfully made his pro debut with an entertaining four-round unanimous decision over Springfield’s Noel Garcia. Schifone was the aggressor throughout landing hard shots with both hands in each of the four rounds. Garcia hung tough, but just wasn’t able to mount much of an offense. In the end, all three judges had the bout scored 40-36 for Schifone.

Chris Gilbert, from Windsor, VT, improved to 9-0 (7KO’s) when a bloody Luis Viramontes failed to get out of his corner after round two.

In the opening bout of the night, Portland, Maine’s Russell Lamour improved to a perfect 4-0 (2KO’s) as he stopped pro-debuting Aquilano Brandao in the very first round of their scheduled four-round middleweight matchup. Lamour sent Brandao to the canvas three times, prompting the referee to stop the contest at 1:46 of round one.

Photo credit: DiBella Entertainment/Emily Harney


2015 Fight of the Year – Francisco Vargas vs Takashi Miura



The WBC World Super Featherweight title bout between Francisco Vargas and Takashi Miura came on one of the biggest boxing stages of 2015, as the bout served as the HBO pay-per-view’s co-main event on November 21st, in support of Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez.

Miura entered the fight with a (29-2-2) record and he was making the fifth defense of his world title, while Vargas entered the fight with an undefeated mark of (22-0-1) in what was his first world title fight. Both men had a reputation for all-out fighting, with Miura especially earning high praise for his title defense in Mexico where he defeated Sergio Thompson in a fiercely contested battle.

The fight started out hotly contested, and the intensity never let up. Vargas seemed to win the first two rounds, but by the fourth round, Miura seemed to pull ahead, scoring a knock-down and fighting with a lot of confidence. After brawling the first four rounds, Miura appeared to settle into a more technical approach. Rounds 5 and 6 saw the pendulum swing back towards Vargas, as he withstood Miura’s rush to open the fifth round and the sixth round saw both men exchanging hard punches.

The big swinging continued, and though Vargas likely edged Miura in rounds 5 and 6, Vargas’ face was cut in at least two spots and Miura started to assert himself again in rounds 7 and 8. Miura was beginning to grow in confidence while it appeared that Vargas was beginning to slow down, and Miura appeared to hurt Vargas at the end of the 8th round.

Vargas turned the tide again at the start of the ninth round, scoring a knock down with an uppercut and a straight right hand that took Miura’s legs and sent him to the canvas. Purely on instinct, Miura got back up and continued to fight, but Vargas was landing frequently and with force. Referee Tony Weeks stepped in to stop the fight at the halfway point of round 9 as Miura was sustaining a barrage of punches.

Miura still had a minute and a half to survive if he was going to get out of the round, and it was clear that he was not going to stop fighting.

A back and forth battle of wills between two world championship level fighters, Takashi Miura versus “El Bandido” Vargas wins the 2015 Fight of the Year.



Continue Reading


Jan 9 in Germany – Feigenbutz and De Carolis To Settle Score



This coming Saturday, January 9th, the stage is set at the Baden Arena in Offenburg, Germany for a re-match between Vincent Feigenbutz and Giovanni De Carolis. The highly anticipated re-match is set to air on SAT.1 in Germany, and Feigenbutz will once again be defending his GBU and interim WBA World titles at Super Middleweight.

The first meeting between the two was less than three months ago, on October 17th and that meeting saw Feigenbutz controversially edge De Carolis on the judge’s cards by scores of (115-113, 114-113 and 115-113). De Carolis scored a flash knock down in the opening round, and he appeared to outbox Feigenbutz in the early going, but the 20 year old German champion came on in the later rounds.

The first bout is described as one of the most crowd-pleasing bouts of the year in Germany, and De Carolis and many observers felt that the Italian had done enough to win.

De Carolis told German language website RAN.DE that he was more prepared for the re-match, and that due to the arrogance Feigenbutz displayed in the aftermath of the first fight, he was confident that he had won over some of the audience. Though De Carolis fell short of predicting victory, he promised a re-vamped strategy tailored to what he has learned about Feigenbutz, whom he termed immature and inexperienced.

The stage is set for Feigenbutz vs De Carolis 2, this Saturday January 9th in Offenburg, Germany. If you can get to the live event do it, if not you have SAT.1 in Germany airing the fights, and The Boxing Channel right back here for full results.


Continue Reading


2015 Knock Out of the Year – Saul Alvarez KO’s James Kirkland



On May 9th of 2015, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez delivered a resonant knock-out of James Kirkland on HBO that wins the 2015 KO of the Year.

The knock-out itself came in the third round, after slightly more than two minutes of action. The end came when Alvarez delivered a single, big right hand that caught Kirkland on the jaw and left him flat on his back after spinning to the canvas.Alvarez was clearly the big star heading into the fight. The fight was telecast by HBO for free just one week after the controversial and disappointing Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao fight, and Alvarez was under pressure to deliver the type of finish that people were going to talk about. Kirkland was happy to oblige Alvarez, taking it right to Alvarez from the start. Kirkland’s aggression saw him appear to land blows that troubled the young Mexican in the early going. Alvarez played good defense, and he floored Kirkland in the first round, displaying his power and his technique in knocking down an aggressive opponent.

However, Kirkland kept coming at Alvarez and the fight entered the third round with both men working hard and the feeling that the fight would not go the distance. Kirkland continued to move forward, keeping “Canelo” against the ropes and scoring points with a barrage of punches while looking for an opening.

At around the two minute mark, Alvarez landed an uppercut that sent Kirkland to the canvas again. Kirkland got up, but it was clear that he did not have his legs under him. Kirkland was going to try to survive the round, but Alvarez had an opportunity to close out the fight. The question was would he take it?

Alvarez closed in on Kirkland, putting his opponent’s back to the ropes. Kirkland was hurt, but he was still dangerous, pawing with punches and loading up for one big shot.

But it was the big shot “Canelo” threw that ended the night. Kirkland never saw it coming, as he was loading up with a huge right hand of his own. The right Alvarez threw cracked Kirkland in the jaw, and his eyes went blank. His big right hand whizzed harmlessly over the head of a ducking Alvarez, providing the momentum for the spin that left Kirkland prone on the canvas.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez went on to defeat Miguel Cotto in his second fight of 2015 and he is clearly one of boxing’s biggest stars heading into 2016. On May 9th Alvarez added another reel to his highlight film when he knocked out James Kirkland with the 2015 “Knock Out of the Year”.

Photo by naoki fukuda


Continue Reading