Featured Articles
Ryan Garcia Defeats Mario Barrios for WBC Welterweight Title
LAS VEGAS-Ryan “King Ry” Garcia erupted on champion Mario Barrios like a cobra in the first round and immediately set the tone for a near shutout to win his first world title the WBC welterweight version on Saturday before a rabid crowd.
Garcia finally reached the top of the mountain.
“I hurt him multiple times but he is a tough son of a b—h,” Garcia said.
Doubts had followed Garcia (25-2, 20 Kos) after more than two years without a victory but the Victorville fighter used his hyper speed to floor Barrios (29-3-2, 18 Kos) in the first round and the rout was on at T-Mobile Arena.
For 10 years experts had predicted stardom and world titles for the model-looking Garcia. But success had eluded him first after testing positive in a fight with Devin Haney and then suffering a loss against Rolly Romero last year.
Where did all the accolades go?
Against Barrios, who had last fought to a draw against Manny Pacquiao and had defended the world title numerous times, Garcia and his head full of shocking black hair electrified the crowd with a blazing display of speed and power that knocked down Barrios in the first round after a thunderous overhand right connected.
Barrios got up.
Garcia was like a Formula-1 race car competing against an old dependable Rambler it was not a competition for the first six rounds. Garcia unleashed blazing combinations that sent oohs and aahs through the crowded arena. The punches had power and their concussion could be heard when they connected.
Whenever Barrios tried to rally Garcia would counter with thunderous combinations including the overhand right. It was a punch not recognized as a primary weapon of Garcia but proved effective throughout the fight.
“I was caught early with a punch. I hadn’t seen it,” said Barrios adding that they prepared for the left hook, not the right hand.
Garcia said most of his knockouts as an amateur were from right hands but an injury took away its effectiveness.
For the first six rounds Garcia hit Barrios whenever he desired like a heavy bag hanging on the garage ceiling. Barrios could not time the speedy fighter but never stopped trying.
Around the seventh round Garcia slowed down a bit and Barrios was able to counter but not enough to win the round. In the eighth round Barrios found success as Garcia took his foot off the gas pedal. That allowed Barrios time to counter.
“Mario was countering all of my shots,” said Garcia.
Though Garcia’s speed slowed Barrios still had to beware of the power behind the punches. The Victorville fighter erupted with five-punch bullets every so often to remind Barrios of the danger.
“I wanted to show, I should have got the knockout to be honest. I hurt my right hand. Mario is a tough warrior. I got respect for him,” said Garcia about not gaining the win by knockout.
“He fought pretty smart,” Barrios said.
Ater 12 rounds it was no question Garcia was the winner by unanimous decision 119-108, 120-107, 118-109. He now holds the WBC welterweight world title.
“It feels great,” Garcia said who was prepared by his father Henry Garcia for this fight. “I’m dedicating this to my dad.”
Other Fights
WBA super lightweight titlist Gary Antuane Russell (19-1, 17 Kos) withstood a serious challenge from Japan’s Andy Hiraoka (24-1, 19 Kos) to keep the title by unanimous decision after 12 rugged rounds.
Hiraoka was the taller fighter and both came into the boxing rings with sparkling knockout records. Neither fighter was knocked down but there were furious exchanges that saw Russell connect often with the right hook and the Japanese fighter busting up Russells body with thudding shots.
Russell survived the body assault and was able to keep the momentum.
In the 10th round an egregious blow to the groin by Hiraoka forced a point deduction by the referee. Though Hiraoka was especially effective with body shot blasts he couldn’t offset Russell’s steady attacks.
After 12 rounds two judges saw it 116-111 and a third had it 117-110 all for Russell.
“We came prepared with plan A, B and C,” said Russell. “Adversity is something to expect. He picked up the intensity.”
It was Russell’s first defense of the WBA super lightweight title.
“We’re going to keep the legacy going,” Russell said.
Detroit’s Frank Martin (19-1-1, 13 Kos) had to withstand a second half rally from Philadelphia’s Nahir Albright (17-2-1, 7 Kos) to survive with a draw after 10 back and forth lightweight rounds.
The southpaw Martin had his way in the first half of the fight was his tight defense and sharp punching. It seemed like he would methodically win the fight on his technical prowess.
Albright made his move in the second half of the match when he shelled Martin with a blistering six-punch barrage that rocked Martin. Albright, a rough fighter from Philadelphia, was able to fight on the inside and found success whenever he opened up with both barrels.
“I picked it up,” said Albright.
In the 10th round it was apparent the fight was close and both opened up with their full artillery. That was Albright’s kind of game and he caught Martin with a right that snapped the head back. Albright wasn’t finished and continued the assault and Martin hung on tight. Albright was unable to connect with another big blow but had Martin on his heels.
All three judges scored identically 95-95 for a draw.
“He got some pop. I knew he was going to be tough,” said Martin.
Though the fight ended in a draw fans were pleased with the ending.
“It was a great fight. I think we should run it back,” said Albright.
“I could have done a lot better. He was strong,” said Martin. “He kept coming. He put up a good fight. We can do it again.”
Indio’s Bektemir Melikkuziev (17-1, 11 Kos) found his rhythm and distance early in battering Sena Agbeko (29-5, 23 Kos) over six rounds and finally ending it at the end of the seventh round of their super middleweight title fight.
Melikkuziev staggered Agbeko with an overhand left in the third round. But the Ghanian fighter toughened up and made a stand. In the fourth round both fighters collided heads and a cut opened above Melikuziev’s eye. That kept the fight at a distance until the Uzbekhistan fighter unloaded a three-punch combination that decked Agebko in the seventh round. He got up but was met with left cross and the referee stopped the fight.
Hot middleweight prospect Amari Jones (16-0, 14 Kos) blasted out rugged Luis Arias (22-7-1, 11 Kos) with a savage attack that floored the Las Vegas fighter twice during the match that ended in the end of the fourth round by technical knockout.
Arias fought hard to try to keep the fast and dangerous Jones off him, but the Oakland fighter had too much firepower. During a furious exchange in the second round both exchanged left hooks, but Jones connected viciously and down went Arias.
Jones tried to take advantage of the hurt Arias but wasn’t able to connect again until the fourth round when a short three-punch combination set Arias down to one knee. Though he beat the count he looked beaten and at the end of the round his corner stopped the fight.
“I thought I did a hell of a job. He has only been stopped once,” said Jones who recently signed with Golden Boy Promotions.
Saudi Arabia’s Mohammed Alakel (8-0, 2 Kos) used a stiff jab and left hooks to break down David Calabro (5-2, 3 Kos) and win by knockout in the second round. Alakel is trained by Abel Sanchez an offensive-minded trainer and it showed as he kept firing snapping left jabs and hooks to the body. Eventually in the second round a left hook and right uppercut floored Calabro. He beat the count but was met by a thudding left hook to the body and the fight was stopped at 2:27 of the second round.
“I feel like the more experience the better I will get,” said Malakel.
Heavyweight hopeful Joshuan Edwards out-maneuvered Canada’s Brandon Colantonio to win a six round bout by unanimous decision. Colantonio had good moments in the second and last round but not enough to win those rounds. All three judges gave Edwards every round to win by 60-54 on all the cards.
Photo Credit: Al Applerose

