Connect with us

Featured Articles

The Avila Perspective, Chap. 24: Remembering Marty Denkin plus Upcoming Fights

David A. Avila

Published

on

Marty Denkin

Prizefighting in the state of California lost one of its senior members over the weekend as long-time referee and judge Marty Denkin passed away.

It was fitting that Denkin’s departure took place before one of the biggest fights of the last three years. Announcer Jimmy Lennon Jr. honored the late official at the heavyweight world championship between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury on Saturday. All paid their respects with a moment of silence and a 10-count.

Denkin, 84, was a former Los Angeles County Sheriff Deputy and though born in New York, spent most of his life in California. Boxing was thoroughly in his blood.

Many who follow the boxing world knew Denkin as one of the long-serving officials of the California State Athletic Commission. He was the senior member and had served in many capacities including assistant executive officer in the Los Angeles office.

Others remember Denkin for his parts in movies like Raging Bull, Rocky III and Rocky IV. Of course he played the part of a boxing referee and is known as the official who counted out Rocky Balboa after getting floored by Clubber Lang the role played by Mr. T.

The last time I saw Denkin was just two weeks ago at a Thompson Boxing Promotions show in Ontario, Calif. He was wheeled to ringside by his daughter at the November 16 show. He had recently judged at a prior Thompson card in Ontario.

Denkin loved boxing.

He was always looking for ways to help the sport that at times can be rife with politics and sabotage. He had his supporters and opponents.

The first time I actually spoke to Marty Denkin was at a CSAC meeting in downtown L.A. around 2000. I had been covering the sport as a boxing writer for about seven years and he walked up to me and told me matter-of-factly “I heard you’re a straight-shooter and want to talk to you about a few things.” He became my introduction into the governing portion of the boxing world. I told Mr. Denkin that I don’t take sides but merely write the facts. From that point on he would let me know about his views on judging and scoring a fight. We would often compare scores right after a fight. He would hand over his scorecard to the referee and then look my way and silently ask what score I had. We usually had the same scores.

Once after a televised James Toney fight he was given a lot of criticism for his scoring. Any time Toney fought, especially in a close struggle, the Michigan prizefighter would display his high boxing IQ and score in ways that most ignore like hitting while being held. Denkin pointed this out after the fight and explained why he scored in favor of Toney. He willingly gave out his boxing wisdom.

Pat Russell, one of the best referees of all time, said years ago he once allowed a brutal fight to continue and one of the participants was taken to the hospital. He visited the hospital to see the fallen boxer who would survive. But the event left him shaken and distraught that evening.

“It was about four in the morning when I got a phone call and it was Marty Denkin,” said Russell, who retired as a referee a couple of years ago but still judges fights. “He told me that I had done everything right and not to worry.”

Russell further explained that Denkin’s call truly helped him through the event and he sincerely appreciated the thoughtfulness by the act.

“I never forgot it,” said Russell.

The boxing community in California will never forget Marty Denkin.

California Tsunami

Three large fight cards are spread out across Southern California this Saturday. This is a sign of the times.

Boxing is exploding.

Golden Boy

In the Coachella desert area Golden Boy Promotions stages a fight card led by Carlos “The Solution” Morales (17-3-3) who faces Nicaragua’s super tough Rene Alvarado (29-8) in the main event Saturday Dec. 8, at Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio. For Morales this is a big test. Alvarado has become a genuine gatekeeper for the featherweight and super featherweight divisions. If you don’t have the goods, well, Alvarado will let you know.

Two other rising prospects Joet Gonzalez and Hector Tanajara are also on the card in separate bouts.

Tanajara (15-0, 5 KOs) has a tough lightweight matchup against Robert Manzanarez (36-2, 29 KOs) on the semi-main event. It’s rare when Tanajara, 21, fights someone taller than him and to make things more difficult Manzanarez is a southpaw. It’s a pick’em fight.

The fight card can be seen free on Facebook Watch.

360 Promotions

The StubHub Center in Carson hosts the 360 Promotions card featuring elite three female bouts including the woman considered by many the pound for pound best Cecilia Braekhus.

Braekhus (34-0) defends the WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF and IBO welterweight world titles against Poland’s Aleksandra Lopes-Magdziak (18-4-3) on Saturday Dec. 8. HBO will televise the showdown.

Add undefeated Claressa Shields (7-0) fighting Germany’s Femke Hermans (9-1) and you have a pair of the best female fighters in the world.

Expect to see many other great female fighters in attendance including Layla McCarter, Cyborg, Kali Reis, Christina Hammer, Jelena Mrdjenovich, and Laila Ali among others.

The male portion of the card showcases Juan Francisco Estrada (37-3, 25 KOs) versus Victor Mendez (28-3-2, 20 KOs) in a super flyweight clash. Both fighters hail from Hermosillo, Mexico so they are familiar with each other. Estrada has long been one of the best fighters out of Mexico that many people do not know. He’s an all-around boxer and puncher. Elite stuff.

Another female fight offered is Aussie Louisa “Bang Bang” Lawton (8-2) who always entertains with her go-for-broke style. She’s fighting local pugilist Lorraine Villalobos who despite only three pro bouts is talented.

The StubHub always delivers great fights. Always. It seems to have a magic aura that produces memorable battles. All total there are nine bouts planned.

Tickets are still available at Ticketmaster.com.

Red Boxing

In the city of Industry, Red Boxing International has a nine-bout fight card at Industry Hills Expo Center.

The boxing card is filled with young prospects and features a heavyweight clash pitting Rodney Hernandez (11-7-2) against Nick Jones (7-1) in the main event. Hernandez upset LaRon Mitchell who was undefeated last June.

For tickets and information call (323) 769-9696.

Top Rank show in NYC

WBO and WBA lightweight titlist Vasyl Lomachenko (11-1) meets Puerto Rico’s Jose Pedraza (25-1) in the main event at The Theater in Madison Square Garden on Saturday Dec. 8. ESPN will televise.

Lomachenko is fresh from a broken arm but is ready for his clash against Pedraza who vanquished Ray Beltran to get to this point.

WBO super bantamweight titlist Isaac Dogboe (20-0) defends against Mexico’s Emanuel Navarrete (25-1) who hasn’t fought top tier fighters yet.

Another on the card is lightweight sensation Teofimo Lopez (10-0) fighting Mason Menard (34-3) for the vacant NABF lightweight title. This is Menard’s third shot at a regional title and he doesn’t get a break facing the talented Lopez.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

To comment on this article at The Fight Forum, CLICK HERE

Featured Articles

Odds Review for Friday’s Boxing on Telemundo

Miguel Iturrate

Published

on

boxing odds
South Florida promoter Tuto Zabala Jr has a seven fight card planned for the Osceola Heritage Center in Kissimmee this Friday, February 22nd that sees three undefeated prospects headline the show. For more than two decades, Zabala Jr has promoted the sport in Mexico and Florida and Friday’s event will air on Spanish language Telemundo in the United States, so check your local listings for start times.
A pair of ten round bouts hold the main event spots as undefeated Yomar Alamo faces veteran Manuel Mendez at welterweight and likewise unbeaten Carlos Monroe takes on Jonathan Tavira in a middleweight bout.
The 23 year old Alamo is from fight hungry Puerto Rico and he is considered a key piece to promoter Zabala Jr’s plans to run shows back on the island. The 28 year old Mendez once carried the ‘prospect’ label as well but Mendez is 1-3-1 in his last five fights. The experience of being in there with the likes of Sonny Fredrickson (19-1) and undefeated Johnathan Navarro (15-0) will make him Alamo’s toughest test to date. The welterweight division is crowded and Alamo is going to need to keep winning beyond Friday to get noticed, but he already banks on the fervent support of his “boriqua” crowd. Promoter Zabala Jr may be wondering if matchmaker Ruben DeJesus picked the right guy in Mendez. Alamo’s record in Puerto Rico looks to have a good bit of fluff. He didn’t face an opponent with a single pro win until his seventh fight. He faced 40 year old vet Edwin Lopez in 2016, but Lopez hurt his hand in the first round and could not continue, so Alamo is largely untested.
Middleweight prospect Carlos Monroe looks to go 12-0 as he steps in to his first bout scheduled for ten rounds. Veteran Jonathan Tavira provides the opposition for the 24 year old Monroe, who turned pro in December of 2017 and notched 10 fights in calendar year 2018. Monroe has been brought along carefully, as the combined record of his 11 opponents stands at 46-98-8. Tavira has been in there with the likes of Arif Magomedov, Dario Bredicean and Esquiva Falcao, all undefeated fighters on the way up. Tavira hits hard but he has been stopped five times in his six losses, so look for Monroe to improve on his eight KOs to date.
2016 U.S. Olympian Antonio Vargas looks to improve to 10-0 in an eight round bantamweight bout against Lucas Rafael Baez (34-17-5). Vargas was originally scheduled to take on Wilner Soto, a veteran with a 21-5 record and he was a big favorite in that match-up.
Below are the current lines as we start off fight week.
Fri 2/22 – Osceola Heritage Center – Kissimmee, Florida
Welterweight 10 rounds –
Manuel Mendez(16-4-1) +160
Yomar Alamo(15-0)         -210
Middleweight 10 rounds –
Jonathan Tavira (17-6)            +550
Carlos Monroe (11-0)             -1050
Bantamweight 8 rounds –
Lucas Rafael Baez        +1150
Antonio Vargas            -2450
(Opponent change for Vargas, line should be similar for new opponent Lucas Rafael Baez)

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

To comment on this story in The Fight Forum CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Featured Articles

Blake Caparello Looks To Grab WBA Regional Belt This Friday

Miguel Iturrate

Published

on

Caparello
This Friday night in Australia, light heavyweight contender Blake Caparello returns to action as he faces youngster Reagan Dessaix for the WBA’s Oceania title in the main event of a planned six fight card at The Melbourne Pavilion.
Dessaix currently holds the belt that Caparello held back in 2017, and the 22-year-old is hoping a win on Friday will put him on the international radar. It is where Caparello, who enters this fight as a 32-year-old, has been and hopes to get to again.
Those are the basics of Friday’s main event, the youngster Dessaix making a significant leap in competition level as he looks to get ranked internationally, while the veteran Caparello is hopeful a win will propel him closer to another world title shot.
Caparello laid claim to the IBO’s world title at 175 pounds back in October of 2013 when he won a comfortable unanimous decision over veteran Allan Green. Caparello, who was 17-0-1 at the time of the Green fight, went on to an introductory fight in the United States, and a win there saw him earn an August of 2014 title shot against WBO champion Sergey Kovalev.
Caparello has to feel he was close to a world title as he had the feared Kovalev down in round one before the “Krusher” took him out in round two. Since then, he has fought Isaac Chilemba and Andre Dirrell, extending both ranked veterans the full fight distance. The March of 2018 loss to Chilemba was for the WBC’s world title, and Caparello managed to go 2-0 the rest of the calendar year.
Green, Kovalev, Dirrell and Chilemba. The bottom line is that Dessaix had a solid amateur career in Australia, but there is no one with resumes like the men Caparello has faced when asked to step onto the world scene.
The WBA’s current world champion is Dmitry Bivol (15-0), who is making the fourth defense of his title in March against hard hitting Joe Smith Jr. The veteran Caparello could mount a case for a mandatory shot against either man with a win on Friday, while Dessaix would likely have to keep fighting and winning before earning a shot at a world title.
The co-feature bout is for the Australian title at 154 pounds and sees 31 year old Billy Klimov facing Joel Camilleri. Camilleri is favored as he has had a lot more professional experience than Limov, who turned professional at 29 years old. Strictly regional stuff here.
Both fights have lines at some of the sportsbooks. Check out the numbers as they were at the start of fight week below.
Fri 2/22 – The Melbourne Pavilion – Victoria, Australia
WBA Oceania Title
Light Heavyweight 10 rounds –
Reagan Dessaix(16-1)         +255
Blake Caparello (28-3-1)    -365
Australian Title
Super Welterweight 10 rounds –
Billy Limov (4-0-1)     +200
Joel Camilleri(16-5-1) -280
Check out the link for the live event right here. http://www.epicentre.tv/events/blake-caparello-v-reagan-dessaix/

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

To comment on this story in The Fight Forum CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Featured Articles

Will Fury’s Deal With ESPN Torpedo The Fights That Fight Fans Want to See?

Arne K. Lang

Published

on

Fury's deal with ESPN

For the past few weeks, boxing fans have been led to believe that the rematch between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder was ever so-close to being a done deal. But in the world of professional boxing where Machiavellian characters seemingly hold all the positions of power, nothing is ever a done deal until it’s finally finalized. Today’s announcement that Tyson Fury has signed with ESPN is the latest case in point. It’s a three-fight deal that will reportedly earn the Gypsy King $80 million if he can successfully hurdle the first two legs.

As Thomas Hauser has noted, what we have in boxing today is something similar to leagues in other sports. There’s the Top Rank/ESPN League, the Matchroom/DAZN League, and the PBC/Showtime/FOX League. We would add that these are intramural leagues. Occasionally there’s cross-pollination, similar to when the Yankees play the Mets in a game that counts in the regular season standings, but basically the boxers in each league compete against each other.

We have no doubt that WBC/WBA/IBF heavyweight ruler Anthony Joshua will eventually fight Wilder and/or Fury, but it now appears that these matches, when they transpire, will have marinated beyond the sell date. The action inside the ring may mirror the Mayweather-Pacquiao dud.

A match between Joshua and Wilder is already somewhat less enticing than it would have been if it had come to fruition last autumn. The odds lengthened in favor of Joshua after Wilder’s raggedy performance against Tyson Fury on Dec. 1 in Los Angeles.

True, the Bronze Bomber almost pulled the fight out of the fire with a thunderous punch but he was out-slicked in most of the rounds and it wasn’t as if he was fighting a bigger version of Pernell Whitaker. Before that fight, casual fans were less tuned-in to Deontay Wilder’s limitations.

It was reported that the Wilder-Fury rematch was headed to Las Vegas or New York, but that Las Vegas fell out of the running when the State Athletic Commission insisted on using Nevada officials. Fury was the one that balked.

In hindsight we should have seen that this was fake news. No Nevada officials were involved in Fury-Wilder I. The judges were from California, Canada, and Great Britain. The California judge voted against Fury, scoring the fight 115-111, a tally for which he was excoriated. The judge from Great Britain, like many ringside reporters, had it draw. The TV crews, especially the crew from Great Britain, left no doubt that Fury should have had his hand raised and the controversy made the hoped-for rematch more alluring.

So who will be Tyson Fury’s next opponent? Speculation immediately centered on Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev.

Pulev, who turns 38 of May 4, sports a 26-1 record. He was slated to fight Anthony Joshua in October of 2017 but suffered a torn biceps in training and was forced to withdraw. In his most recent bout he outpointed Hughie Fury, Tyson’s cousin. He’s currently ranked #1 by the IBF.

On Dec. 8 of last year, Bob Arum announced that he had hammered out a deal to co-promote Pulev. It was subsequently reported that Pulev’s first fight under the Top Rank/ESPN umbrella would be against Finland’s Robert Helenius on March 23 in Los Angeles. Six days ago, the distinguished European fight writer Per Ake Persson told his readers that the fight had fallen out, ostensibly because the parties could not come to terms.

Tyson Fury is the most charismatic white heavyweight to come down the pike since Gerry Cooney and the big galoot is bigger than Cooney ever was as he has avid followers on both sides of the Atlantic and Cooney didn’t have social media to enhance his profile. I have little doubt that ESPN will recoup their investment in him. However, deals in boxing are never consummated with an eye on uplifting the sport – on patching things up with the disaffected – and here’s yet another example.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

To comment on this story in The Fight Forum CLICK HERE

 

Continue Reading

Trending